Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 300sd, 83 240d
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1984 300sd that has pretty bad Negative Caster (wheel is forward) with having the strut rod threaded all the way down/back... :confused:

swapped the spindle today with new ball joint and the same problem persist :mad:,soooo im asking what is more likely to be the prick in this mess the upper control arm or the lower control arm???:crybaby2:

Listening and taking all advice:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
Only the one side? How are the bushings looking on the upper control arm?

·
Registered
84 300sd, 83 240d
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Only the passenger side from what the mechanic that did the alignment said. Pulls to the right. From what I can see the upper control arm bushings seem to be okay.

·
Registered
'95 993 / 2011 F150 Raptor SC / Land Cruiser D4D V8 / 500 SEC
439 Posts
I replaed the complete wheel carriers left AND right including new ball joints a few weeks back. Had the car realigned and it's spot on...and STILL pulling to the right a bit.

I also notice there is play in the steering wheel when I turn it right, but NOT when I turn it left.

So either the steering rod is off or the steering box is shagged.

Maybe you should check those two too.

But if its the castor angle my guess would be the top rods are bent or out of alignment. On the lower I'd expect the camber to suffer first in case of an impact or something.
But I don't really see it. That bottom triangle is a tough part to bend. And if it's the bushing on the lower triangle, again the camber would be affected, not the castor.

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
All my Benzes pulled to the right slightly. For W124 there is even a service bulletin stating that due to wear and age, it is not unusual for a car to pull to the right. It is corrected by changing the wheel Camber to the opposite direction (on both front wheels).
I guess it could be similiar on a W126, I had this issue on all three I've owned (even with play-free joints and bushings).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts