Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my SEC in for an alignment today, 4 wheel like required.
Now I don't know that I got a 4 wheel alignment or if they did a front only and blew smoke up my skirt about the rear.

I was at the shop for well over an hour. When my car was finished I asked about the rear specifically. The alignment guy said he checked the rear and everything was in spec so nothing needed to be done. He then said he did have to do some work on the front, but my receipt just shows that he did a front Alignment(his writing), and he did say because the rear was in spec he just charged for the front.
Time will tell if this is true, But I find it quite odd that there was no specs written on the work order at all...... Cheap enough if it is the truth.
I do a lot of business with there shop in Acton, but not with the shop in Palmdale.

Car didn't have any real bad issues, but was wearing the left front tire and to a lesser degree the right. Back seemed fine. I did have the tires rotated and balanced and the wheels didn't have any weights on them at all when they took them off the car(1989 560 SEC). Didn't seem to have any big vibrations before either, just a bit between 70-80mph.
Now it has NO vibrations at all.

·
Registered
1982 Euro 500 SEC, 1985 300D Turbo Diesel (338,000 miles!), 1984 Euro BRABUS 190E
275 Posts
Maybe by 'alignment' they simply mean checking things out?

I need to get an alignment on both my cars, they both pull to the right pretty bad :/

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,109 Posts
was just talking about this very subject! can anyone aline these cars or is it a MB shop that has to do it? mine needs to be done & i dont want some idiot screwing something up.lots of shops talk the talk, but you know.it should last for a while so i want it done right. what should i look for in a good shop, thanks

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Took my SEC in for an alignment today, 4 wheel like required.
Now I don't know that I got a 4 wheel alignment or if they did a front only and blew smoke up my skirt about the rear.

I was at the shop for well over an hour. When my car was finished I asked about the rear specifically. The alignment guy said he checked the rear and everything was in spec so nothing needed to be done. He then said he did have to do some work on the front, but my receipt just shows that he did a front Alignment(his writing), and he did say because the rear was in spec he just charged for the front.
Time will tell if this is true, But I find it quite odd that there was no specs written on the work order at all...... Cheap enough if it is the truth.
I do a lot of business with there shop in Acton, but not with the shop in Palmdale.

Car didn't have any real bad issues, but was wearing the left front tire and to a lesser degree the right. Back seemed fine. I did have the tires rotated and balanced and the wheels didn't have any weights on them at all when they took them off the car(1989 560 SEC). Didn't seem to have any big vibrations before either, just a bit between 70-80mph.
Now it has NO vibrations at all.
Rear's aren't adjustable on your SEC.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,109 Posts
Rear's aren't adjustable on your SEC.

Jonathan
so your telling us that all sec dont or cant be aligned in the rear? cuz thats all iv heard since i got it was the 4 wheel alignment, not that it boothers me but there are a lot of misinformed people out there ( me included ). WOW

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I believe the earlier cars have some adjustment in them..I know the late Gen II non-anti dive/squat rears have no adjustment..thus those w/ camber issues need to have the Katmac bits installed in an effort to remedy the problem.

Jonathan

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
THANK YOU JONO!
Yepper I have the slusher suspension on my SEC

That makes me feel so much better. I was sent to this shop by a trusted friend that has all his vehicles aligned there. The counter guy did say that some of the later Mercedes didn't have 4 wheel alignment, and I questioned him about that. So the Alignment guy just checked the rear and found no adjustments points to adjust. COOL!

I do know that looking at the front today that he did do the front end. Before there was a clean black(read raw) rubber band on the left front tire outer edge, (inner edge to a lesser degree and lesser still on both edges on the right tire BEFORE I took it to them. Now that line is no longer there. Steering feels a bit tighter, but that could be just me thinking so. But Mariah is a sled on rails now!

I have all brand new EOM brakes, rotors on the way and the baby gets new shoes (pads and P Brake shoes too), this week. I knew that I had to replace one rotor, maybe two, so I decided to buy all new ones. All calipers appear to be in good shape,(no leaks or hangups, etc.), so I'll not replace them this time around. Hopefully by weeks end I'll have her all back together.

Have I said I love this car???....LOL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts