Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These were discussed abou a 100 posts ago.
Pic shows the range and changes from fitting them. They give a once off change depending on what way around the tabs and slot on bolt is fitted.
(Click on pic to enlarge)

Bazzle

Attachments

G

·
I was lucky to not need them here recently, but great info. I can't remember what the dealer wanted for them, but I thought it was too much.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
I was lucky to not need them here recently, but great info. I can't remember what the dealer wanted for them, but I thought it was too much.

You will need them eventually.
Buy them for $11.00 and install them yourself.
Then take it in for the alignment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been having problems with my steering on my 230 for ages, some times it just seems to wonder or jerk to one direction. Could these bolts be the reason??

·
Registered
28 Posts
How do the tires look, is the wear even?? Start with that. Look at the steering damper, mine is a little sloppy and needs to be replaced. The part is cheap $25. Have your alignment checked, it could also be the tie rods.
Year I've replaced the steering damper, and lower ball joints, one tyre tends to wear a bit more than the other but they both wear on the inside edge. I've been through quite a few tyres on it in the past couple of years.
The car pulls to the left, and if I'm on a bumpy road it seems to be all over the place. I've had the traking done several times and had a couple of friends look over it at their garages but they never find anything wrong with any of the joints or anything, so maybe its these bolts?!?!

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
G

·
I just got four to put on the 230. Dealer wants $20 each, you need two per side. KO Performance dot com has them for $9 each. If you do the job youself replace one at a time and use two jacks so you can line up the holes.
So the dealer was being straight if you need 4 up front at 20 a piece.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
You do need 4.
You can get them online for 9 to 12 dollars each.

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230: Eibach Pro-kit Springs, Koni Yellow Shocks, ASP Pulley (kit)
77 Posts
Thanks Bazzle, just ordered mine from KO Performance

Firstly-sorry for bumping an old thread... BUT have to say

Thanks a ton Bazzle! I just ordered a set of 4 for $50.39... I've been struggling with trying to find where to order by googling "Camber kit" "alignment bolt" "Camber bolt" "Castor bolt", etc... all to no avail.

But you google "A 202 330 01 18" and get all sorts of options.

Best of the first-page results for me was KO Performance website that had them for $10-something a piece, and $9something for shipping.

I'll install these along with my new springs next weekend, so can get a proper alignment this time.
:thumbsup:

pdubq

·
Registered
77 Posts
It get's better

Just got an email from KO that instead of waiting to tell me my fed-ex ground tracking number on Monday, they decided sooner is better than later and sent it out priority USPS today instead.

So check out KO Performance - High End Import Performance and OEM Parts, car parts . I'll let you know once I get the bolts and install them. But yeah, seems pretty great.

Dealership wanted $20-something per bolt... over $80 for 4 ...

It helps having Bazzle post the part num's to search for!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Problems in Lowering Land

So I've now got a bit of drama with my car, hopefully someone can provide guidance.

I started the spring install on Sunday, using Gakz guide I was able to get the rear springs installed, no problem. Ran out of time for the front. Last night I tried the front, got as far as the spring comression, and using both spring compressors I borrowed from Autozone I was unable to make progress.

It seemed as much as I could compress teh middle of the spring, I couldn't get the top and bottom compressed enough to get it out.

to make matters more challenging, I didn't have an adequate tool to get the lower-control arm bolts removed.. (I didn't have an extra-long socket for the nut, nor an adjustable spanner that I could squeeze into the tight fit).

SO...

I took my car into a local mechanic, (JMT Autoworks... I found because on another thread "Autowerks Express" was recommended for San Diego R170 suspension).

They got my new front springs on no problem, but said my cambolts didn't seem like the right model for my car, because the indentation on the washer didn't fit the groove on my car chassis :crybaby2:

I ordered 4x part "202-330-01-18/36" Bilstein bolts. Looks like the diagrams.

On the bilstein box the label is "Vergl.Nr. 202 330 01 18"

I contacted KO Performance with my VIN to also check for me, is it possible my 98 slk230 is keyed differently than eveyone else's on this forum? Or was my mechanic just messed up?

This sunday when i'm wrenching on the pulley upgrade, I'll get a longer socket to fit the control arm bolt to remove it, and see for myself... but this is baffling me.

On a side-note, my Eibach pro-kit springs are awesome... car looks way sportier, and sway's WAY less around big turns. I love it.

·
Registered
2012 SLK350
405 Posts
Are you sure that you need the bolts? I could be all wet but I believe that they will give you a fixed amount of plus or minus change. That may not be what you need in your case. The camber and caster may already be correct with the standard bolts. If so, the change provided by the bolts may not be desirable.

I someone knows for certain otherwise, please jump in here.

I just had an alignment done on mine at a very reputable shop. I had bought the bolts to have them on hand if they were needed. They were not. The front and rear toe just needed a little adjustment. The car steers great!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yup, I'm pretty s7re I do.

Last alignment I had negative Camber , below spec. Can't remember the value tho. I just installed the eibach springs for at least 1.2" drop...

I'm at an alignment place now, they seem to think I did get the right bolts...

I'm hoping this fixes vibration I have around 75 mph. Last time before aligbment, I had sevwre vibration and steering wheel jitters between 60-75. So that alignment helped, but didn't solve completely.
Other possible factor is my fronts are perellis I got with the car in 2007. Rear tires are newer goodyears from last fall. I don't really want to buy new front tires with all the good tread left on them, so working towards that last. Seems like bushings, bearings are all good... wheels balanced.

Sorry for typos, typing on my phone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
DONT BUY BILSTEIN CAM BOLTS!

I'll update with a photo tomorrow... comparing Bilstein r170 cambolts with Mercedes Benz bolts. Maybe that's why I got such a good deal :eek:

Bottom-line, the machined groove on the bolt itself, from Bilstein... (same part number as Mercedes part, mentioned earlier), won't fit. so... DONT BUY BILSTEIN CAM ADJUSTMENT BOLTS!

I'll get in touch with KO Performance tomorrow, see if their service is as good as they seemed up front. I can't believe this isn't a known issue within Bilstein. Unless they just had a bad batch of bolts get out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's the photo side-by-side comparison

Check it out:

Bilstein part # A 202 330 01 18 on the left

Mercedes Benz part # A 202 330 01 18 on the right.

Sorry about my poor crop job... but you can see the drastic difference.

I've called and emailed KO Performance and they still haven't gotten back to me about swapping the bolts with proper ones yet. Hopefully they will fix this.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts