Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 E320 4matic, 05 Saab 9-3, 96 Landrover Disco, 72 Porsche RSR clone project, 74 Dodge D10
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got out of my 99 4matic and locked the doors with my key like I've done a thousand times before and the alarm went off seconds later. I checked the doors to see if one was open etc. Nothing, hit lock again, a few more seconds and the alarm goes off.

I read a post about the alarm cycling in 20 secs and then going off if it isn't happy.That appears to be the problem. I checked the voltage of the battery 12.35, then I disconnected it, stood on the brake to drain the system and reset the key and everything in the car, seats,headrests,windows etc. to see if the system had gotten wacky and could be reset - no dice - alarm still cycling on a few seconds after the car is locked.

The door locks work perfectly going up and down, and the lights blink with the remote so I don't think its the pump. I can get in it and drive with the alarm going off and it will cut off around the 2 minute range or let it sit and it will cut off at the 2 min range. The problem of course is I need to be able to lock the car, the quick solution was to pull fuse 11 which stops the siren, however pulling that fuse kills ADS (SE), Electronic stability, and the radio.

Anyone with a good diy procedure to diagnose this problem? :confused:

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Hello zyggiest and welcome to the W210 forum. Please take a moment to complete your user profile, available via the "User CP" link.

While I don't know what is wrong with your car, the first thing to check is for water intrusion in the battery compartment. However, since you were checking fuses, I assume that you looked in there.

·
Registered
99 E320 4matic, 05 Saab 9-3, 96 Landrover Disco, 72 Porsche RSR clone project, 74 Dodge D10
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Matt, thanks for the fast response, anything specific I need to add to my profile? I added a few things, maybe I need to add more.

Funny you should mention wet battery compartment, The foam block that the pump sits in was damp on the bottom, apparently I have a sunroof drain pan leak because the seat belt was wet when I extended it. and there is rust around the battery. based on this info , can I dry out the pump? Can i take it apart?

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Please fill in your location and vehicle year and model. That helps for many questions.

I have not dismantled a PSE pump, but I do know that there is an electronic module within it. You should try a search, and hopefully in the meanwhile someone who has taken one of these things apart may be able to help. Certainly, if it is wet inside drying the thing out may cure it.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Also

the door striker may be loose and while the door is locked by the pin the striker still thinks that a door has been left open.PM raymond-g for his test of the system or search the alarm posts for his entry.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pryed open the bottom a tad and can see a circuit board, of note there is a rubber gasket that should seal against moisture. I am in process of of using my heated forced air desiccation device (hair dryer) to see if that helps.

Professional advice is welcome, amateur advice appreciated, swags respected

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Good thinking, Ohlord.

I broke the switch once when my seat belt did not completely retract before I shut the door. The metal clasp got jammed in the door. Not very hard, but hard enough to shatter the door switch. The upside to that one is that the switch is very inexpensive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt, ohlord - update - found raymond-g post suggesting dimes taped on the door to "enhance" striking, good idea but didn't work. BBQ'd a few 'dogs for the family and let the dryer do its thing for an additional hour ( I pried the bottom completely off the pump) it was nice and toasty upon reassembly. Fingers crossed X, it worked! Alarm stays off when set, YAY!

Excellent suggestions, great results. Found the radio code on a dealer receipt (a found forum nugget) and its all good....except the pesky leak that caused the situation. Blew compressed air up the sunroof drain hoses and I'll keep a watch on it. Couldn't make it leak with a hose.

Also found a nice pictorial on another forum that shows the passenger fender location of the alarm siren IF I had to do something drastic in the future.

Thanks to all :)

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
also

Harbor freight tools sells a very thin drain snake that can be ran through the roof drains and also check the battery vent tube to make sure water is not entering that way.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
You seem to have fixed it, but if you need some more cleaning information, search the R170 forum. That is a very common problem on the SLK, so they've got some very good tips on drying/cleaning the PSE. The PSEs are probably different, but the cleaning/restoration should be the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AARRRGH...so this morning I crank the car and it starts misfiring, cough, sputter, pow...barely runs.I stop and restart 3 times and it get marginally better, will not accelerate. Symptomatically reminds me of the MAS problem I had before and I have a spare, which I put in in 5 minutes.

No change, run codes P0301,P0304,P0306,P0305 misfiring cylinders...cleared codes and it runs better but not as good as it did before all thisw started, still slow to accelerate but at least it does accelerate.

What magic happens when the battery is disconnected that would cause the car to run so poorly? Could something else be damp or corroded in my fuse box under rear seat area that would cause this? I don't think this was a coincidence.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to add, it appears it ran better the warmer it got. I have 100K on the car. I was running great prior to this event.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cleared the codes for misfires out twice and now it runs like a champ. Any ideas what was going on, does the vehicle recalibrate after its been disconnected from the battery?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Cleared the codes for misfires out twice and now it runs like a champ. Any ideas what was going on, does the vehicle recalibrate after its been disconnected from the battery?
Yep, to some extent it has to "relearn" things. Not as bad as most cars but there is an adaptation that occurs.

I'm still puzzled why you would suddenly get misfire codes though. Even if it's resetting that shouldn't trigger codes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I felt/heard it misfire, it's running fine now but check engine came on after and hour of driving and I'm getting a P0400 code. I'll check my EGR stuff tomorrow. Trying to get everything sorted for big Memorial Day trip.

I appreciate all the assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts