Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By pulling the fuse for the central locking system is it possible to disengage the alarm? I know I won't be able to use the key fob to lock it, but that's not important. In order to repair the problem I know I need a new PSE (at a cost of $800-$900 according to the shop!)

My alarm has been going off intermittently again and my neighbors are about ready to run me out!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Thats exactly the same symptoms I had and when I took the car in, they told me it was the power supply for the alarm. Evidently, it has it's own power supply and when it starts to die, it will go off for no reason. My car was under warranty so it didn't cost me anything. Don't let them tell you that you need to buy the whole alarm. You really ought to put your car model and year in your sig so we can see that info and be help you more readily.

Jeff

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
Hey Jeff, do you know where the alarm's power supply is located? is it a DIY job or stealer?

Thx

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
TheJimbo said:
Hey Jeff, do you know where the alarm's power supply is located? is it a DIY job or stealer?

Thx

Jimbo,

I'll walk downstairs and look...(I'm at the office now) but since it was covered under warranty, I didn't learn as much about it as I would have had it been MY problem. I do remember the dealer telling me that the power supply was encased within the alarm and I'm guessing that it's some kind of battery pack. Probably 4 or 6 rechargable double AA's...lol

Jeff

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
TheJimbo said:

Thx

Jimbo,

I looked, but to no avail...the dealer, when describing the power supply held his hands like he was holding an ostrich egg (don't know why I remember that part) so I'm thinking that it was an oval, podlike thing. Best of luck to you and when you do find out "the rest of the story", please pm me with what you found out. I'll at least then be able to learn what I didn't take the time to learn before.

Jeff

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 E320 Wagon
173 Posts
Jeff Kushner said:
the dealer, when describing the power supply held his hands like he was holding an ostrich egg
Jeff
Jeff, perhaps he was just reacting to your avatar.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Glen H said:
Jeff, perhaps he was just reacting to your avatar.

Sweet isn't she? My fiance` got VERY nervous when I was showing her something on our forum and she saw it. She was SURE that it was an old gf<lol>!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Jeff Kushner said:
Thats exactly the same symptoms I had and when I took the car in, they told me it was the power supply for the alarm. Evidently, it has it's own power supply and when it starts to die, it will go off for no reason. My car was under warranty so it didn't cost me anything. Don't let them tell you that you need to buy the whole alarm. You really ought to put your car model and year in your sig so we can see that info and be help you more readily.

Jeff
That may be another cause of random alarms but most often it is a water damaged PSE pump. There are a lot of old posts on the PSE pump issue, search on "PSE".

·
Registered
2002 slk32 amg
76 Posts
I had the same problem about a month ago. It's the PSE , I found info on changing it on this site. I didn't feel like listening to the alarm going off every few hours so I experimented a little. The PSE has four plugs going into it, if you pull one of the two plugs facing the front of the car the remote entry will still work. The downside is that the interior light would stay on, I just switched it off. No problem. I don't know for sure which plug I pulled but I believe it was the black one. (there's a white and a black ) anyway just pull one and use the key fob to see if your locks work. if not plug it back in and try the other. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts