Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've got the answer after searching, but just wanted to confirm with anyone who knows.

When my alarm goes off, it only blinks the lights - no siren or beeping. If I wanted it to beep (or whatever sound it makes) can that only be done by the dealer via the Netherlands mode or can I do this myself?

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
TheJimbo said:
I think I've got the answer after searching, but just wanted to confirm with anyone who knows.

When my alarm goes off, it only blinks the lights - no siren or beeping. If I wanted it to beep (or whatever sound it makes) can that only be done by the dealer via the Netherlands mode or can I do this myself?

Jimbo,

I'm not sure if this will help you or not but last year I had problems with my alarm going off for no apparent reason. Thankfully, it was still under factory warranty so I took it in and they found that the power supply for the alarm was bad and the service advisor said that the alarm has it's own power supply so it won't turn off is someone cuts the battery cables(makes sense to me) and that it will do all type of strange things in the process. I'm just wondering if your problem is one of those strange things.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...interesting, worth checking out.

Thanks Jeff!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 Sport
450 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SpitzeStrom_Terp said:
Jimbo,

Your alarm doesn't have a problem, it's set to blink only (no audible sound) from the factory. These two threads have plenty of info on setting your "Netherlands" audible mode, which you have probably already read by this point :D :

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r17...netherlands-option.html?highlight=netherlands

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r17...m-some-info-please.html?highlight=netherlands
Thanks man! Those threads were excellent. I hadn't gone that far back (2003) during my searches. In any event, it looks like I can't do this myself, I need the stealer to do it for me. Bogus.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Maybe I don't understand the question but the Netherlands mode only makes the alarm chirp when locking the doors. The alarm should always sound a siren/horn when it is activated, i.e. doors are locked and the glovebox is opened (that is how I first set mine off, top down, doors locked and I reached in to get something out of the glove box). I do not have the Netherlands mode and the lights only flash when locking and unlocking the doors with the key fob but the horn sounds when the alarm is activated.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
16falcon said:
Maybe I don't understand the question but the Netherlands mode only makes the alarm chirp when locking the doors. The alarm should always sound a siren/horn when it is activated, i.e. doors are locked and the glovebox is opened (that is how I first set mine off, top down, doors locked and I reached in to get something out of the glove box). I do not have the Netherlands mode and the lights only flash when locking and unlocking the doors with the key fob but the horn sounds when the alarm is activated.
Interesting. I actually don't want the alarm to chirp when I lock and unlock the doors.

What happened was I had locked the doors with the top down. My nephew didn't know, reached in and opened the doors. The lights flashed, but no sound at all - flashing lights only. I'd like to have the alarm sound when it's set off - otherwise who's going to know some punk is trying to steal my ride when just the lights are flashing on a sunny day!

·
Registered
'01 SLK 230
51 Posts
In that case, I'd say there's definitely something wrong with your alarm and/or PSE (since the two are linked), since it should definitely sound when the door is opened with the car locked (by using the "lock" button on your remote). Otherwise it would be, as you said, useless.

Does the alarm sound when you press and hold the red panic button on the remote for a few seconds?

Perhaps it's just a faulty alarm horn (it's not the same one as the regular horn that sounds when you push on the steering wheel), or maybe a door switch.

Does the red LED inside the tow-deactivation switch (the one with a picture of a tow hook on it) flash when the car is locked? It should.

Best Regards,
cinergi

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
TheJimbo said:
What happened was I had locked the doors with the top down. My nephew didn't know, reached in and opened the doors. The lights flashed, but no sound at all - flashing lights only. I'd like to have the alarm sound when it's set off - otherwise who's going to know some punk is trying to steal my ride when just the lights are flashing on a sunny day!
That should have set off the alarm. I just tried it on my car, it is definitely a siren and not the horn (I couldn't remember for sure). It appears the alarm portion of the circuitry is working if the lights flash, just not the siren. I don't know exactly where the siren is located, it was too loud to search for it. Could it be a fuse? #9 is Roof light, horn, anti-theft alarm & trunk light for my 02. Here is the info from the owner's manual just for reference:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Falcon and Cinergi, thank you for your posts. It looks like I've definitely got an issue that I need to research and fix.

When I find the problem and associated solution, I will post it.

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 Sport
450 Posts
Sorry for not reading your question thoroughly Jimbo. I think I was just so used to seeing the Netherlands mode inquiries that I jumped at that answer. :banghead: .

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SpitzeStrom_Terp said:
Sorry for not reading your question thoroughly Jimbo. I think I was just so used to seeing the Netherlands mode inquiries that I jumped at that answer. :banghead: .
No problem Spitze, my question may not have been worded too clearly.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found the below info on the STAR cd. I'm going to look into this on the weekend and try to figure out why my siren won't sound when the alarm is tripped.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Chris!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts