Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2004 C320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alarm keeps randomly going off! It seems to happen about once a week, at random times. I feel as if it happens whenever I unlock or lock the car. Nothing can get it to turn off, even if I turn on the car and start driving it around. People look at me like I stole the danged car!

I just took it to the Official Mercedes-Benz Dealership, and they came back with the diagnostic of a faulty alarm which would cost me around $320. I declined the repair, and paid the $50 fee. (He discounted me because I told him I am a college student with low money)

I was coming here to see if I should go to an independent dealership in the city I am in (Tallahassee, Florida) called Furrin Auto and see if they could do it cheaper? Or perhaps there is a simple procedure I can do to turn off that annoying, squealing siren? I am not handy with cars, whatsoever, unless it is as easy as Lego instructions.

I do not believe I could get a Disturbing the Peace charge or anything of that sort for a car alarm, and it tends to go off after 10 minutes or so. I felt like it wasn't worth the $320 as it is more of an embarrassment that my car alarm is going off, and I can actually still use it as a form of transportation. However, if it continues to happen frequently, I will go to the Tallahassee Mercedes-Benz Dealership and get it worked on there.

Thank you for your time!

P.S. As I am typing this, it started to go off again. :dunno:

· Registered
2002 MB C240,
45 Posts
I can't hear it...

seriously all you need is some basic tools (wrench, small size sockets). Remove plastic cover behind front passenger side wheel and disconnect the thing, or take it out and drive over it. now I have not done this myself but that's what you will find if you search the forum.

· Registered
2004 C320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to both dealers (independent and official) and they both would like to perform a diagnostic even though I have the papers. I think I am just going to wait it out, and hopefully it won't be painful, and then get this fixed once I am back home for Thanksgiving.

· Registered
c230 2004
12 Posts
I had an issue where my alarm was going off randomly while I was driving... Really annoying! I took it to the shop and they replaced the Alarm Horn, apparently it's a known issue... Cost was $280.

I have a c230 2004 with 90,000 miles..

· Registered
2004 C320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had an issue where my alarm was going off randomly while I was driving... Really annoying! I took it to the shop and they replaced the Alarm Horn, apparently it's a known issue... Cost was $280.

I have a c230 2004 with 90,000 miles..
Thank you for making an account just to post here. It seems this is my issue, can't believe these other dealers are trying to make me get another diagnostic. Just trying to get their hands in my pocket, I guess. My car is basically the same as yours (2004 C320) so I guess there may be a problem in that year.

Maybe I have pipe dreams or are just naive, but I don't understand why they don't fix this for free, considering the man said that it was a fault in the car, and nothing was done by the user of the car to make this happen. It is random, and a problem in their manufacturing...

Thank you

· Registered
c230 2004
12 Posts
Thank you for making an account just to post here. It seems this is my issue, can't believe these other dealers are trying to make me get another diagnostic. Just trying to get their hands in my pocket, I guess. My car is basically the same as yours (2004 C320) so I guess there may be a problem in that year.

Maybe I have pipe dreams or are just naive, but I don't understand why they don't fix this for free, considering the man said that it was a fault in the car, and nothing was done by the user of the car to make this happen. It is random, and a problem in their manufacturing...

Thank you
Yea, no worries. I paid $190 for the horn and $90 for labor. I'd say buy the part from Mercedes and DIY.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.