Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995 W124 E320 Cabrio
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have leads on having the Becker alarm module rebuilt?

Mine is on the fritz, in that it just activates randomly (no ignition issues thankfully, and disengages when I unlock the doors).

Disconnected the horn, so just the lights flash. I am not interested in disconnecting/bypassing the alarm--having the alarm functioning is appealing to me.

OR is there a notorious weak point with wiring / fuses / relay that could be causing Alarm issues like this? I've noticed it happens more often when there are ambient air temperature and humidity variances.

(yes I've searched, lots of threads on disconnecting/bypassing, but not much on restoring functionality)

·
Registered
W124
4,839 Posts
Since its a 25 year old electo-mechanical part, there might be some benefit to opening up the module and searching for what are called "cold solder joints". The OVP relay, cruise control amplifier both suffer from this so the alarm module developing this symptom isn't too far fetched.

·
Premium Member
2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,044 Posts
Yes, these 25 year old modules are starting to suffer from cracked solder joints and failed electrolytic capacitors which can lead to some erratic behavior. I have often thought that this will be the death nell for many a w124 and cabriolets in particular since so many of the modules are unique to it. If I were in your position I would source another alarm module on Fleabay (they are relatively cheap) and see if you can kick the can down the road a little further. At the very least, you can rule out some other issue with your car (like bad door microswitches). Hang on to your current module until you find someone who can re-solder and replace the caps for you.

BTW, is your alarm module located in the passenger footwell? Mine is not there and yet I have a functioning factory alarm system.

·
Registered
1995 E320 wagon
446 Posts
25? Haha I saw .fail at 15 years old. Never have been very good, but like most of these modules take it apart and go over all the solder joints and go from there. I've seen faulty door switches cause all kinds of issues too, espically on the Cabrio. Like making the seat belt extender work with the doors closed randomly

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,981 Posts
I think the speedo and cruise control repair guy who's in the SLO area (south central California coast) fixes those.

I dunno, every flaky alarm I've run into, I've unplugged, removed, and wired a bypass on the starter immobilizer. I don't think they are worth fixing at this point, you get the alarm module working, and the door etc switches flake on you.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,981 Posts
hey, the becker alarm can't have half as many relays as the CF module...

nor is it nearly as complex as the cabriolet top controller...

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,246 Posts
The whole problem with car alarms and especially the early ones like on the 124's....they were never a deterrent. Car alarms went off so much that everybody just got annoyed....few if any thought the car was really being jacked. Better off to just disable them....as the 124's got old, the alarm systems really got funky anyway.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
on cabriolets, I think the alarm module is under the back seat.
hmmm, I looked under the back seat of my 93 320CE cabrio, and I didn't see it. the alarm still works on my cabrio so I've not dug for it to disable it. I should remove the passenger floor and look.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,246 Posts
The different models/yrs have different places to disconnect the alarm. In my '92 TE's there a black electrical module that looks like the more reasonable drawings of what Noah's Ark was supposed to look like. It's under the passenger side front carpet. I posted a pic once.

Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts