Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'87 560SEL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experiencing some issues lately with the alarm on my 2001 CLK 430.

Sometimes when I lock the car (using the key fob) the alarm does not beep like it usually does. The lights will blink and the car doors lock but the audible beeps from the alarm horn just don't sound.

Additionally, when this happens, the alarm will suddenly and randomly just go off within a few minutes of locking the car.

I read a little bit online about this where people are saying to look into the alarm horn battery and possibly the PSE.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
When you say the alarm goes off, do you mean the siren sounds and indicators flash? Or no siren and simply indicators flashing?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
yes the indicator lights and the alarm siren goes off together.
OK, well you really do need to read the fault codes now, do you have access to test equipment?

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
In the mean time I'd recommend pulling the fuse for the alarm siren - I had issues with that when the vacuum pump system went out and shortly thereafter when the battery needed to be replaced. I still have nightmares about the ear piercing siren.

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 CDI 2007
111 Posts
10 year old clk? CHECK

Sometimes come out & the indicators are flashing by themselves / alarm sounding for no reason? CHECK

Live somewhere where the weather is not amazing? CHECK

It is most likely that the battery has corroded inside the siren unit (down by the nearside wing). It is not user repairable, but replacement is pretty simple.
The whole unit costs about £50 from the dealer & is a 15 minute swap over.

This is a very common failure on the clk.

Matt

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430 Coupe, 1987 560 SEC, 240,000 miles, lowered, still a very nice car
106 Posts
It is most likely that the battery has corroded inside the siren unit (down by the nearside wing).
For those of us in the Colonies, "down by the nearside wing??" It's not an airplane, it's a car.:)

Bob

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 CDI 2007
111 Posts
erm... ok - sry to cause confusion :surrender:

'nearside wing' is the big metal bit of bodywork that covers up your front wheel - in the uk it is on the side nearest to the road where the siren lives.

I beleive in the US it is the same place, but it will be on the drivers side for you.

If you really can't be bothered to google for intructions, you need to remove the inner wing liner (plastic bit inside wheel arch that protects from ingress of road dirt - under the metal bit I mentioned earlier) to get to the siren/battery location.

I hope that clears it up - didn't mean to use 'fancy car speak' :D

Matt

·
Registered
'87 560SEL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
negative on the access to test equipment. just have a generic OBDII scanner that can only read common codes. i do not have the MB code package with it.

·
Registered
'87 560SEL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Matt, I followed right along with you..my boss is English and taking cars with him is always entertaining.

I'll check with the dealer for price and availability but it sounds pretty straight forward.

Thanks for helping out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts