Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently posted my other car, a 2004 Infiniti FX35, on a canadian auto marketing website - Autotrader.ca. While the website is reputable, some of the e-mail inquiries I've been getting on the car are suspicious to say the least. Asking for VIN #'s, making offers on the car sight unseen...I'm naturally skeptical but this wasn't what I exepcted. I have one particular inquiry and offer to purchase that I'm having a hard time getting my head around.

[email protected] is the prospective purchaser and his story is suspect. Although he hasn't asked for anything other than my phone number, he has offered money ($31,000). Just interested in knowing if any of you have encountered this individual and what was the final outcome? Don't worry everyone - the red flags are all over this one. Also wondering if any of you out there have experienced the same when selling vehicles over the Internet...thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm a firm believer in trust your gut. If it's setting off alarm bells about the guy than listen to it.

Other than that I've got nothing to add

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Having bought a few cars on E-Bay I feel that "TRUST YOUR GUT" is right on the money!!!! If He REALLY wants your car, and is willing to spend the money, Have him send a BANK CHECK for the car. When the check arrives take it to YOUR bank!! and discuss it with your banker. {There are ALOT!!!! of ways to get screwed} Just be CAREFUL!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I think the primary reason someone might ask you for the VIN is to run it through CarFax. I would also be suspicious of anyone making an offer "sight unseen" and the only reason I can think of is that they plan to leave you holding the bag with a bad check. In that event, at least in the US, you could insist on some bank's cashier's check which should be as good as gold.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
You should insist on a bank check, and one step further, insist it clears your Banker first!

·
Registered
36 Posts
A cashier's cheque means nothing these days, nor does the fact that it 'clears'. It can take anything up to six months before a forged or stolen cheque is identified as such, and when that happens your bank will simply debit your account with the amount.

Always deal with buyers in person, check their IDs and - as others said - trust your instincts. An offer to buy sight unseen is obviously a scam.

Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts