Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted that I had a problem with my seat clicking very loudly.

Today I had a phone call from my dealer, who has been in contact with Germany. They have been told that there is a known problem with airscarf.
The airscarf is not secure within the seat, and may be coming apart.

In the earlier models the clips that we used to keep the tubing in place were too large, and that the glue used to keep the tubing in one piece was not strong enough.

I have been told to book my car in, it goes in next week, for 2-3 days.

They will remove both my seats, reclip with smaller clips, and re-glue with the new stronger adhesive, all under warranty.

So if any of you have this problem, then contact your dealer, and you can get it fixed.

My current mileage is about 1200, so I have not done that much. My average journey is about 50 miles, when I use the car.

I just hope that they don't ruin my seats when they do this work.
The reason for it bein 2-3 days is that they can not order the parts until my car is in the garage !!

·
Registered
slk55amg
43 Posts
Thanks for your info. [:)]
What is build date of your car?
What is the border line(manufacturing date) between earlier model and later model?

·
Registered
2003 E-Class 320 CDI
61 Posts
Gaz,

Thanks for the update. As you know I seem to be having the same problem so I plan to get in touch with my dealer and see if I can get it rectified too. That said, letting the dealer take the seats apart and put them back together is a scary proposition. I think I might wait and see how your experience goes.

I'm quite surprised that the solution isn't the supply and fitting of brand new seats!

Good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
2003 E-Class 320 CDI
61 Posts
Hi zxxn,

I don't know if Gaz has more specific information, but I can tell you that both my car and his were delivered in the same week (week beginning 18th October 2004)

My actual build date was decade 1 in October.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
Gaz-350 - 1/31/2005 2:08 PM

The reason for it being 2-3 days is that they can not order the parts until my car is in the garage !!
That sounds bogus to me. All they should need is your VIN number to create a warranty work order for the parts. I can't imagine any reason why they would "need" your car sitting around while they are waiting for parts to fix it.

Its common practice "here", if a non-stocked part has to be flown in, to order the part first and schedule the shop time for after it arrives.

·
Registered
SLK 350
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zxxn,

My build start date was 29th September 2004, and arrived at the UK south compound on 8th October.
I was supposed to have a decade 2 Sept build date, but it slipped to decade 3. (I got some nice AMG bonnet fins because of that!)

I picked the car up on 20th October.

Not sure if their is a border line date between earlier and newer cars. It's just that when you have a brand new, new car, there is a possibility of teething problems on the ones that are built first, they rectify these on the latter ones.

I know that sometimes a certain batch of cars may have a problem when all others are ok, just due to a faulty box of parts, and that can happen any time.

Slick350,

I know what you mean about the dealers working on my seats. Half of me is happy to have this sorted out, and the other half is apprehensive about them ruining my seats. If that happens, I'm going for two brand new ones.

Fingers crossed they fix the problem.
I will keep you all informed.

·
Registered
SLK 350
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got my car back today from the garage.

They have fixed the problem on the driver's side. They put in the smaller clips, and also an extra piece of foam to make the seat more confortable.

The driver's sea is now really nice to sit in.

They were only given enough clips from Germany to to the driver's seat, so they tried something else with the passenger one, but that did not work.

The car will have to go back to have that rectified.

As mentioned before this is a known problem in the fact that MB Germany know about it, but MB UK do not.

So if you have any clicking noise at all from your airsarf fitted seats, take it in to your dealer.

·
Registered
SLK 350 facelift, palladium + gullwing red
67 Posts
Hi Gaz-350
You probably explained this before but when does the clicking noise occur and what does it sound like. My build date was mid Nov 05 so is quite close to yours. Also which dealer did you use? - I bought mine from Tony Purslow Guildford

·
Registered
2003 E-Class 320 CDI
61 Posts
Gaz,

Thanks very much for the update. I haven't driven my car of late so I haven't been able to guage whether the clicking is getting worse for me or not.

I'll be listening out when I next drive it, and thanks to your information will be able to alert my dealer to the problem when I take it in to get it rectified.

Hope your passenger seat gets sorted satisfactorily!

·
Registered
SLK 350
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris H,

I bought my car at the Gatwick dealership on 20th October 04.

The clicking problem occurs when you sit in the seat, or if you lightly push the back of the seat in the middle.

What is happening is that the clips that are holding the Airsarf piping mechanism are not doing their job correctly, and the piping is loose, this makes it click. It also makes it dig into your back.

On my passenger side, I only have to lightly touch the seat for it to click, so you can imagine how it would drive you up the wall if it did it everytie a person slightly moved in the seat.

The person who fixed my car, said that it is to do with the design of the new seat. It is very thin and has plastic pipes inside it, with hardly any padding.

·
Registered
SLK 350 facelift, palladium + gullwing red
67 Posts
Thanks Gaz - don't think my seats are doing this - I just get an occasional click when the seat auto retracts on shut down - Hopefully this doesn't develop into a problem but thanx for the info

1 - 11 of 11 Posts