Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 GL550. A few months ago it went in for yearly service. They noticed the rear shocks needed to be replaced due to leakage.

Previously I had noticed that sometimes after being parked, the car may lower the rear suspension a bit more than normal. I thought it was due to the rear needing replacement but it just did it again today. No warning lights on the dash.

I read that sometimes the system tries to level the car and our garage floor is ever so slightly not level. Our mechanic never saw any weird codes even previously to the shock replacement.

Is this normal? Thanks

·
Registered
2003 SL55 AMG, 2000 CLK320, 2013 E350
57 Posts
It happens, I replaced one of my rear shocks last year in my 2014 GL450. I will probably replace the other side as preventative maintenance. I am the second owner and records show that one shock in the front was replaced as well, so I will replace the other side as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happens, I replaced one of my rear shocks last year in my 2014 GL450. I will probably replace the other side as preventative maintenance. I am the second owner and records show that one shock in the front was replaced as well, so I will replace the other side as well.

But is it normal for the car to change heights while parked?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The height on my GL never changes while parked except when I had a leaky shock and I do have an uneven driveway. Are you saying yours changes after you replaced the air shock? Based on my experience I would say it is not normal for the shock to readjust after parking it, but maybe yours has some coded feature that mine doesn’t. BTW, I never got any warning lights or codes when my shock was leaking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is how much it was lowered. I thankfully noticed it was lowered and took video.I hope it is easy to see.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What was the whoosh sound from? The video was very small but I did notice it lowering a bit. That whoosh sound is concerning. For what it’s worth after 2 hours my left rear would drop two inches and no noticeable sound. I had it repaired at a Mercedes dealership and cost $614, parts and labor, working fine ever since.

What ever your issue is don’t let it go too long, you risk burning up you air pump and adding to your expense. I’d take your mechanics advise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's air being let out and the car raising. I took it to my certified mercedes mechanic and they couldn't find anything. They had just replaced the rear shocks two weeks ago.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow that just doesn’t sound right, sounds like a pressure relief valve. I’d show your video to your mercedes mechanic and see what he thinks. I can’t believe that they wouldn’t know, maybe try another mechanic.

·
Registered
2015 GL450, 2014 C250, 2004 S500
3 Posts
This happened to my 2015 GL. I had the woosh noise and found the right rear drop 2" lower than before. Then another time, a steady slow air release and the right rear drops. This happened 4 times now. Can't figure it out. I raised the airmatics to max (air compressor works) and sprayed leak detector spray and found nothing. Checked lines of both rear, nothing. It sits at the proper height in the garage for days without dropping. No error code. My driveway has a slope then levels out in the garage. Could it be the leveling sensor that activates the compressor to release? This is just weird.

·
Registered
2015 GL450, 2014 C250, 2004 S500
3 Posts
Update: parked my gl. Heard air leaking from passenger side rear. Confirm with soapy spray air leaking from airmatic shock where the upper rubber rolls over the lower part. I raise the gl with the lift button on my console. NO Leaks. I lower the car and it sits level for 2 days. I take it for a drive and when I parked it, came back to a lowered rear passenger side. Redo the lift thingy and it rides fine and no error codes. Came back next morning, rt rear is down again. Anyone got a suggestion?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts