Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

W220 Moderator
Hi,

And I sincerely hope that you get 100,000 miles trouble free :wink ...........

BUT The reality is that over the years I have proved in my Workshops that Chinese parts don't last long, a lot of the time they are faulty out of the box, and in certain cases, (Brake and Suspension Parts), they are downright dangerous :wink

In the back of my mind would always be "What if this Air Bag Spring goes bang at 70 + mph Mid Corner" ..............

I had that a few years ago in a customers BMW Estate, thankfully I was only doing around 40 mph and managed to keep it on the road .............

Rear Air Bag, huge Bang like an explosion, N/S rear hit the Bump Stop instantly, car veered violently :eek

When I contacted the customer, he told me the rear Airbags had recently been replaced at his last MOT test .............

Further digging around as to who fitted it and we found the local 'Kerbside Mechanic' and the guy confessed he had got the Air Bags off EBay because they were considerably cheaper, Customer had been Charged BMW Retail, "Mechanic" had more money for the Pub :rolleyes:

They're cheap for a reason :frown

Cheers Dave

Registered
well the original $1,900 OEM part

the original $1,900 OEM part failed so I don't think price is the right measure

the one I got looks nice and they have sold almost 200 with good feedback and now I have1,000 miles on this strut no warning lights and no leaks the air pump hardly ever needs to run since these don't leak

The early Benz struts were terrible this one has a steel top not plastic so it is already an improvement

Registered
Pop top, thank you for the feedback , there are goid Chinese struts and bad ones .
Please let us know every so often how this strut performs . I always look at users reviews and some are defective out of the box while some fail within 10,009 miles . Of course we only hear the complaints not the good ones

So please keep updating us on this strut !

W220 Moderator
Pop top, thank you for the feedback , there are good Chinese struts and bad ones .
Please let us know every so often how this strut performs . I always look at users reviews and some are defective out of the box while some fail within 10,009 miles . Of course we only hear the complaints not the good ones

So please keep updating us on this strut !
Hi,

Couldn't agree more, but that's what makes it such a lottery.

Yes, a good one works OK outta the box, a bad one doesn't :wink

As they have worked out of the box for 1000 miles, based on my considerable experience of mileages of MB versus China Parts, my guess is 3000 to 5000 miles :wink

An MB Strut will do circa 100,000 miles before giving trouble................

So at the Chinese price it will cost $2780 to get the same mileage, and that's not counting 1 to 2 hrs labour each time plus inconvenience factor, possibility of Accident etc etc etc.

"Been There, Wrecked That, Got The 'T' Shirt" :rolleyes:

This in Mathematical terms makes them actually cost about 3 - 4 times more than MB, without considering all the risks and hassles :wink

Now I'm waiting to be proved wrong ...................... :devil

Cheers Dave

Registered
1 year follow up

Yeah, I found out about that 5mm lock screw the hard way, too. Recovered, but a propane torch is very helpful indeed.

These eBay springs...your heart's in the right place. However, they smell like "made in China" junk, unfortunately. Generally, when I can't see where it's made, it's because sellers don't want to tell us. If push comes to shove and Bilstein, et. al. stop making these air springs, I'll go with a quality coil-over conversion when the time comes before I put junk China parts on my Benz.
Just wanted to say the air-matic system is still perfect with this strut after 1 year and 10,000 miles
I'll report back in another year with any update good or bad...

Registered
Good deal. I sincerely hope yours turn out to be good and long-lasting.

Registered
Well it has been 18,000 miles and 2 years and my $149 strut keeps on strutting.

Seems like they were quality remanufactured parts

Registered
Awesome thanks for updating , always good to have a lower priced parts source that is a good quality product . Not everything out of China is trash and this may be a good supplier

Looking forward to your update next year !

Registered
Thanks, @poptopclk. Maybe this is one of the better Chinese manufacturers, like with those Sunfull SF-888 tires you mentioned in the other thread.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
9 Participants
cowboyt
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing