Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, every once in a while (like 5 out of 10 times) I park the car, the driver side front suspension drops all the way down. I mean ALL THE WAY DOWN. Like a lowrider, maybe one finger can squeeze between tire and fender. Is this normal? It makes it real easy to enter the car because its so low, but I'm wondering if I somehow triggered an unintended feature? When I start up the car, the suspension picks up again and I drive fine?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Perhaps you have a small pressure leak somewhere in your system. When the car is running it keeps pumping air in it. When you turn off the engine it probably "deflates" completely. I had this on one suspension cylinder but the leak was so important that the pump was unable to compensate. The dealer replaced it. I think there's a chance that your leak will worsen and when that happens you'll have no suspension at all and you will feel every bump directly in the structure, as I did... Recommend you have it checked

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks the same as my problem, mine was the passenger side front suspension. One night it simply dropped and didn't lift once I started the car the next day. I could hear a few brief puffs of air coming out but after a few trials it looks like the system stops trying to fill the air cylinder and it gave me a dashboard error message. Perhaps it'll do the same to you eventually... I have a 2008 GL CDI with 90,000km on it

·
Registered
Testing Cars ('01 S430), ('04 CL500), ('05 S500), ('05 SL500), ('07 S550), ('09 E550), ('10 GL450)
87 Posts
AIRmatic Leak

You have front air shocks leaking on your truck. The air springs dry out and start to leak through the rubber bladder. The truck will stay up sometimes due to the location of the pin hole in the bladder. If the suspension is up high enough the pin hole will seal up on the side wall of the air spring. Unfortunately you will need to replace the front air shocks on your truck. The pin hole will get worst and burn out your compressor. The truck will eventually stop lifting up when you start it. We have remanufactured air suspension shocks for a little over $300.00 each after your membership discount code. I would replace both front shocks. They wear in pairs and the other side is no more than a month or two to follow. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
Adam
www.arnottinc.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
2007 GL450
8 Posts
I have the exact same problem!! When I turn the engine off, I hear a hissing sound on the front driver side. If I raise the vehicle before I turn it off, then it's fine. Looks like I might need to replace mine. Anyway to just oil it to get it working again?? Money is kinda tight near christmas.

·
Registered
2007 GL450
8 Posts
I hope Adam can chime in. I've try contacting Arnott Industries with no luck so far. I purchased the replacement air shock from them but am having a hard time getting the old one out. It looks simple enough until you start unbolting. The shocks come off with 4 quick bolts. The problem is that there is no way to pull it out!! It will not lift high enough to clear the front axle. Seems the only way to remove the shock is to remove the front hub and spindle assembly. Unbolting it from the upper and lower A-arms didn't help. I really need some advice if anyone on here has done it before.

·
Registered
Testing Cars ('01 S430), ('04 CL500), ('05 S500), ('05 SL500), ('07 S550), ('09 E550), ('10 GL450)
87 Posts
I hope Adam can chime in. I've try contacting Arnott Industries with no luck so far. I purchased the replacement air shock from them but am having a hard time getting the old one out. It looks simple enough until you start unbolting. The shocks come off with 4 quick bolts. The problem is that there is no way to pull it out!! It will not lift high enough to clear the front axle. Seems the only way to remove the shock is to remove the front hub and spindle assembly. Unbolting it from the upper and lower A-arms didn't help. I really need some advice if anyone on here has done it before.

You should be able to unbolt the upper control arm ball joint and push down on the hub and spindle enough to clear the drive axle. You need to make sure both front wheels are off the ground. The sway bar will transfer force to the other side making it very hard to push down on spindle. Also make sure you disconnect the sway bar from the shock. You have 3 bolts on the top and 2 on the bottom side you have to disconnect in order to remove the shock. Please let me know if you continue to have problems. Good luck

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
2007 GL450
8 Posts
I pretty much removed everything and was not able to remove the shock. Basically, this is what I've done.
1) Unbolt the entire air strut via the top 3 bolt and the bottom large bolt
2) unbolt the top and bottom control arm ( where it attach to the spindle )
3) unbolt the sway bar and steering

The axle is what gets in the way. It will not lower enough to clear. The bottom of the air strut is designed to straddle the axle. Its a long U shape piece that is very long. It requires the axle to drop straight down inorder to clear. The axle will only bend down so much and also the brake lines are already stretched to it's limit. I might make a video to show this. I will take the spindle bolt out tomorrow and remove the spindle and axle to see if it will clear.

·
Registered
2007 GL450
8 Posts
UPDATE:

Adam is correct, you don't need to remove the spindle. The problem most people will have just like I did was the courage to push down on the spindle and lower control arms so the shock will clear. So basically, you need to do everything above except the lower control arm. You do not need to remove the bolt on the spindle that attach to the lower control arm. I had to raise my truck up pretty high and then put my foot on the brake disc and press down hard!!! The shock will barely clear over the CV boot. Just make sure all your brake lines are out of the way. You wil have to cut the tie wraps that holds the lines in place.

I will start on the passenger side after the holidays since it was suggested that you replace both. The passenger side looks fine for now but I will plan to replace it also. I will hopefully have time to take some photos and video so others can have a little hint of what it takes to remove and install one.

·
Registered
2007 GL450
8 Posts
I got just a little over 50K miles also. If you want to know how I did mine before I get a chance to take some pics on the other side, send me a private message with your phone number and I'll give you some help. By all means, I am not a qualified MB mechanic but I believe it's an easy DIY if you are mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We are working on the instruction guide now. It’s not to bad once you figure out all the secrets. Unfortunately the front and rear air springs on this truck will continue to be a huge hassle. The truck is way too heavy for the small size of air spring used. We are working on an aluminum can and protective boot to go over the air spring to help the life span of the front air springs. I honestly don’t think any of the factory springs will last over 60K miles. I will keep everyone posted on any updates on new suspension products for the GL. We are also working on a coil spring replacement kit to remove the air suspension when you get tired of it.

Thanks
Adam
Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension Parts, Struts - Arnott Industries
[email protected]

UPDATE:

Adam is correct, you don't need to remove the spindle. The problem most people will have just like I did was the courage to push down on the spindle and lower control arms so the shock will clear. So basically, you need to do everything above except the lower control arm. You do not need to remove the bolt on the spindle that attach to the lower control arm. I had to raise my truck up pretty high and then put my foot on the brake disc and press down hard!!! The shock will barely clear over the CV boot. Just make sure all your brake lines are out of the way. You wil have to cut the tie wraps that holds the lines in place.

I will start on the passenger side after the holidays since it was suggested that you replace both. The passenger side looks fine for now but I will plan to replace it also. I will hopefully have time to take some photos and video so others can have a little hint of what it takes to remove and install one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
air suspension issues

Hi Guys

I seem to have the same issue - is that normal after 50,000miles?

Dealer is quoting me $1600 parts plus installation - has anyone had quotes?

Really appreciate your help

·
Registered
24 Posts
You have front air shocks leaking on your truck. The air springs dry out and start to leak through the rubber bladder. The truck will stay up sometimes due to the location of the pin hole in the bladder. If the suspension is up high enough the pin hole will seal up on the side wall of the air spring. Unfortunately you will need to replace the front air shocks on your truck. The pin hole will get worst and burn out your compressor. The truck will eventually stop lifting up when you start it. We have remanufactured air suspension shocks for a little over $300.00 each after your membership discount code. I would replace both front shocks. They wear in pairs and the other side is no more than a month or two to follow. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
Adam
Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension Parts, Struts - Arnott Industries
[email protected]

Hi Adam

the last post was a while ago, do you still have BenzWorld special prices for the shocks?
What is your experience in terms of how long they last - my front right one needs replacement now, would you do them as a pair (like you would a tire) or is replacing only the broken one okay?

Tks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Arnott Inc. Reman shocks

Hi Adam

the last post was a while ago, do you still have BenzWorld special prices for the shocks?
What is your experience in terms of how long they last - my front right one needs replacement now, would you do them as a pair (like you would a tire) or is replacing only the broken one okay?

Tks
Yes the special discount code is still active. It will save you 10% off your entire order. Only replace them in pairs. The other side is right behind it. It will start leaking within a couple of months. Our reman units will last just as long if not longer than the OEM unit you would buy at your local dealer. We however will warranty the part for as long as you own the truck. The OEM unit only comes with a one year warranty. Please let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

Thanks
Adam
[email protected]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes the special discount code is still active. It will save you 10% off your entire order. Only replace them in pairs. The other side is right behind it. It will start leaking within a couple of months. Our reman units will last just as long if not longer than the OEM unit you would buy at your local dealer. We however will warranty the part for as long as you own the truck. The OEM unit only comes with a one year warranty. Please let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

Thanks
Adam
[email protected]
Hi Adam

thanks for your reply - I ordered the part from Arnott last Friday and it was shipped out already - hope this will solve my problem (and I am pretty sure it will).
Got your info on the second one - will do the second order soon

Appreciate your help

Tobias

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Adam

thanks for your reply - I ordered the part from Arnott last Friday and it was shipped out already - hope this will solve my problem (and I am pretty sure it will).
Got your info on the second one - will do the second order soon

Appreciate your help

Tobias
Thank you for the order! Please let me know if you have any questions on the installation. Sorry for the late reply I have been traveling out of the country all week.

Thank you for your business and support!
Adam

·
Registered
24 Posts
Arnott

my front air suspension gave up after 50,000 miles and MB quoted me $1600 plus installation.

I found through this Forum Arnott Industries replacement parts and it worked like a charm:

literally 90min after ordering online I got a shipping confirmation from Fedex, the part arrived a few days later, installed with the provided instructions in less than 2 hours and all in all it cost me $450 instead of Mercedes $2000.

Great company & service, highly recommendable

1 - 20 of 40 Posts