Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its been bone chilling cold here in chicago. Temperatures are ranging from minus -6 to 0 with the wind chill minus 30 for the past two days.

Airmatic was fine until two days ago when I parked my car overnight and in the morning found out that it is sitting almost on wheels and on the display said 'stop,car too low'. I raised the vehicle and while raising i have heard loud sound from the front shocks. Airpump is engaging and both the lights on damping button are on. It is 02 S500 and has 65000 miles on it.
Is it normal or i am in trouble please share your experience and thought.Thanks

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
with something like this, if it happens once, I leave it. If it happens again, I would take it in.

Id push the airmatic button to get it to convenience, and then see if the pump stops running after a short while.

Air is denser when its cold, but with the rubber and nylon, you may have some leaks that manifest themselves when items contract in the cold.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Oliverk, Yea the airpump does stop after a short while but the car takes long time to get raised then usual.
Is it true that when air gets this cold, volume decreases and causing shocks to lose some air pressure,which results the car to sit very low?
One more thing that what triggers both small lights to illuminate on the damping control button after that happened. Is it because i was driving on snow or some malfunction?
All of you guys were great help for me to learn and fix lot of problems in the past..Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
Spray some soapy water on top of the front shock towers, if it bubbles up the strut seals are leaking and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've had exactly the same problem before I had my front struts replaced - the car was leaning on the front when parked during cold weather.
I advise to replace struts - this should solve the problem for years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same thing happens to my s600. but only the driver side lowers completly.. front and back.. i have a 3 car garage. and the side where the drivers side is ,usually stays
open...so im guessing its from the cold. I also live in chicago. and its freaking nippy outside. so im gonna wait it out and see if it still does it once it starts warming up....

** I dont drive it in the winter i just start it like every 4 days... and it takes the car awhile to lower " like 3 days or so" it dosnt lower over night...

anyone have an idea.. or is it just the cold

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am really dissapointed after spending almost thirty grand for a car, i thought that i would have peace of mind and i am set for two three years but its not even six months yet. So do u guys think is it worth changing the struts or should i get rid of it.

Is it possible if i store the car and let it sit for days without starting it,is it going to cause more damage to struts?
I love the ride and enjoyed every single mile that i put on it until few days ago..arghhh

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You bought a 7 year old car not known for its reliability that originally cost about $90k for 1/3 of that (ps, $30k is way way way too much for an 02).

Airmatic strut leaks are a known problem on those cars, and some research may have made that clear to you.

But that aside, you probably have a strut top seal leak. That can be fixed for around $700. If that number is shocking to you, you may as well sell the car, because repairs of that amount and more can be common.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
depends on the company. Most companies don't cover shock absorbers as a general policy, but you should clarify with the company.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts