Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I began to get some whinning noise from my AC so I took it into the dealer. The car being out of warranty, they say it will cost $900 in labor plus the parts. So I bet you're wondering how much the part costs? Well I found it on the net for $16 FUCKING DOLLARS!!! They want to charge me nearly a grand to install a part that costs $16!!! Supposedly they have to take apart the entire dash, and it is about 8+ hours of labor. Anyone know where I can find info on how to take the dash apart? Also, info relating to the amount of time I need the battery unplugged before removing anything to avoid deployment of the airbag would be appreciated also. Thanks - John

·
Premium Member
CLK / ML
4,077 Posts
You don't need to unplug the battery..

The airbags won't deploy. As for the dash, if you're just going to remove the center, you would need the radio keys to remove the a/c panel and radio. The surround is held on by clips so just pull. Once the that is removed, access to the rear should be easy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply....

Are you sure that all I will need is to remove the center portion of the dash to reach the vacum cells? I was told the entire dash unit must be removed to access it. Thanks in advance...-John

·
Premium Member
CLK / ML
4,077 Posts
re:

Well you asked how to remove the dash. I'm not sure what you mean by vacuum cells so I can't help further. If you mean the dust filter, you don't even have to remove the dash. Just take out the glove compartment. It's on the left side.

Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts