Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm contemplating the purchase of a 560SL as my daily driver. I'm a bit nervous about maintenance issues (both expense and hassle). Any general advice about "watch outs" would be great.

My more specific question is about the A/C: I've read the reviews saying that the A/C on this model was weak. I also know that recent envioronmental legisltation has much stricter requirements about freon (type? amount?). I live in Houston, Texas. A functioning A/C is a must.

Is there something that can be done to "upgrade" the airconditioning? How much should such an upgrade cost?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My main advice is not to rely on a 20-year-old car as your sole transportation. I drive my 1980 450SL every day, but I have another car I can use in a pinch, and worst case, a taxi ride from my work to my home is pretty cheap and easy to get. Don't put yourself in a position where you are at risk of being stranded 50 miles from home every day.

That said ... the AC on these cars isn't all that great, but I think it would be adequate. Depends how cold you like it in the car, I guess.

As for environmental regulations, there are two situations you are likely to encounter. One is that the car uses the original freon, which works fine but is expensive to replace if you have a leak. Below $100 for a refill, though, I think closer to $70. The other situation is that someone may have updated it to use the newer stuff, which works the same (actually not quite as well) but is much cheaper to refill if needed. You can upgrade it yourself for around $1200.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow, $200 vs $1200 is a big difference. $1200 is what I read somewhere. I've never seriously investigated it as I don't plan to make the change.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Wow, $200 vs $1200 is a big difference. $1200 is what I read somewhere. I've never seriously investigated it as I don't plan to make the change.
Either price could be correct, depending on whether additional components are changed, either from need or choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts