Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 600 1991
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 1991 600 when the setting of fan speed is slightly higher than "MIN" I can clearly hear it. And it is not to say that it is worse than in other cars. I'd say it is completely normal - as you'd expect in an average car.

But I am just wondering if in such car as W140 this should be much quieter than "normal" - e.g. noticeable only on higher fan speeds. In normal conditions when engine works at idle, and even at moderate driving, this fan is the main thing I can hear :). What is your experience?

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
Same here. Unless I really nail it, the A/C fan is louder than the engine.

·
Registered
W639 Vito 110 CDI; Ponton 220S; VW Phaeton V10 tdi; 1995 S500 ex diplomatic car (gone)
574 Posts
The only sound you should get is airflow. The motor bearings are probably dry.

Hunt the forum for how to lube them.

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
The only sound you should get is airflow. The motor bearings are probably dry.

Hunt the forum for how to lube them.
Actually, its just the airflow I hear as well. That fan can really move a lot of air!

·
Registered
140 600 1991
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to admit in this case - I too hear the airflow only. That is what I meant. Topic closed then? :p

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Noisy fan= dirty filter.. Because as the flow becomes restricted the fan starts to climb upwards. catching the frame as it does so.. replacing the filter will allow free flow of air.. fan stays where it should be.. can be caused by pull or push restriction.. Hope this helps you...

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
The airflow is pretty loud if you've got it turned right up, even with the filter out as I thought mine was dirty (which it was) but the sound of rusing air was still the same. It's like a mini hurricane on high.

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
Same here, and cant be filter as i took mine out :) and lubed the shaft etc...its just the air hitting the vents that makes this whooshing sound, bit annoying but better than stuffy car with fan off....

BTW NZBENZ i saw you were asking about the cluster on that S320 auction on TM, are you still looking for glass bit? I have spare one, no cracks or scratches... its yours for like $40 if you want it (trying to recover some cost of having to buy whole cluster when mine died! :-( (otherwise will keep as spare, dont realy need to sell it but i know how anoying it must be to look at that crack everyday)

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Same here, and cant be filter as i took mine out :) and lubed the shaft etc...its just the air hitting the vents that makes this whooshing sound, bit annoying but better than stuffy car with fan off....

BTW NZBENZ i saw you were asking about the cluster on that S320 auction on TM, are you still looking for glass bit? I have spare one, no cracks or scratches... its yours for like $40 if you want it (trying to recover some cost of having to buy whole cluster when mine died! :-( (otherwise will keep as spare, dont realy need to sell it but i know how anoying it must be to look at that crack everyday)
Thanks for the offer, however part of my cluster died a while ago and I really need to replace the whole thing. Did you get yours from silver star farm? I have yet to try there.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
no i got mine on TM from that dude having S420 for parts (was $150 for the whole thing / everything works) i think he also has S280 cluster with digital ODO, i can text him if you want... Didnt try silverstar farm as i know it will be bit more expensive (but with 30 day warranty) you can use them as last resort they deffinately have some lying around.... BTW did you try soldering the CAPs on the cluster board, there is actualy only 2 or 3 and only one of them causes the problem....

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
no i got mine on TM from that dude having S420 for parts (was $150 for the whole thing / everything works) i think he also has S280 cluster with digital ODO, i can text him if you want... Didnt try silverstar farm as i know it will be bit more expensive (but with 30 day warranty) you can use them as last resort they deffinately have some lying around.... BTW did you try soldering the CAPs on the cluster board, there is actualy only 2 or 3 and only one of them causes the problem....
Mines the ODO thats dead, do you know whats required to switch from mechanical to digital as I think that the connections are different, if you could find out from that guy you know that would be great. Don't know what it is but clusters for the 280/320 seem to be as rare as hens teeth at the moment.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well there has been factory replacement from mechanical to digital under warranty when the early clusters started to die... i think your has the Round-ish plugs in the middle and two square on the edges...as long as the replacement has same plugs and is from 6 cylinder it should in theory work.
I will find out if he still has it and let you know....

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
NZBENZ the guy has cluster for S280 for $150, as far as her recalls it worked fine before car got written off and its has digital odo. Are you in auckland at any point with your car or if you are flying over can you bring your cluster for comparison?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts