Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air conditioner repaired under Starmark warranty three weeks ago (April 30). Was leaking refrigerant. Dealership replaced evaporator and, of course, recharged it. Air then would blow satisfactorily cold (for South Florida).

Within several days, the air would stop blowing cold, (yet still blow air) even if switched form auto to manual fan control. If I pushed the EC button (light on) for a moment or so, then pressed EC again (light off), usually nice cold air would blow again, but not for very long – 5 to 10 minutes or so, sometimes a little longer. And hitting the EC button would not always “reset” the cold air.
Usual setting was auto, 72 on each side. Thermostat/auto seemed to work, adjusting to keep temp at desired setting, until cold air stopped. The non-cold air is actually uncomfortably warm.

Brought it back in and the dealership replaced the evaporator temperature sensor. Just got home in 25 minute cross-town traffic 92 degree weather. SAME ISSUE, stopped blowing cold after 7 or 8 minutes, reset with EC button, cold air only for a while, either in auto or manual.

If this helps, the invoice today reads
Cause: 83472737
831534 A/C COOLONG CAPACITY TEST, PERFORM
60 W
1 210-830-07-72 TEMPERATURE
838054 EVAPORATOR SENSOR – A/C
SYSTEM, REPLACE (AFTER TEST)
60 W

43757 SENSOR SIGNAL ELECTRICAL FAILURE W STARMARK AIR CONDITIONER COOLONG CAP TEST 250 OVER 37 AMB TEMP 96 DEGREES FARENHEIT IN CAR TEMP 38 DEEG AFTER DRIVING FOR A WHILEN 15 MIN AIR GOT TO 65 DEGREES REPLACE EVAPORATOR SENSOR ROAD TEST VEHICLE AGAIN OK

Any ideas to bring back to the dealership? I don’t want to sound like I know what I actually don’t. Don’t want to make them defensive, but still get the point across that the aircon is unsatisfactory. And I happen to have time this week to deal with this. They give an ‘07 C230 loaner (and I’m very happy to have warranty coverage on 8 year old 43,000 mile car, for now).

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After Lex's Diagnosis

Thanks so much.
I followed the instructions:

Outside ambient reading 92F (6:25 p.m. in S. FL)

1 85
2 96
3 71
4 71
5 75
6 186
7 10
8 114

no error codes

“Often you can tell you're low on refrigerant by a hissing noise coming out of the center vents. The hissing is the sound of the refrigerant rapidly expanding to fill the evaporator. This only makes noise when you're low on refrigerant. Do you hear this hissing noise?”

Yes, I do. Just as I heard when before the dealership replaced the evaporator several weeks ago, and recharged the system, not quite so loudly, though.
It seems it is still leaking refrigerant.

·
Registered
'98 E430
236 Posts
I would guess that you're still low on refrigerant by the 10 bar reading from sensor #7. It should be up around 14-16 with the car parked. This will bring the #3 and #4 readings down to between 50-60 degF after some time.

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. Just got it back from dealership. Now they replaced the compressor and after about 110 miles so far, unfortunately only in cool rainy conditions (72-76 degrees), everything seems nice and chilly. Aircon seems to be working fine under thermostat setting, too; maintaining proper comfort levels. All covered under warranty (evaporator, evap sensor, condensor, recharges, and diagnostic)!

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They replaced your evaporator?
Yes. Bought car two months ago 42,000 miles, very nice body details, 2 owners, all maint. records. Test drove it at night! 5 months left on Starmark warranty.
Several hot days later, aircon. hissing like low on refrigerant, no cool air in center vents; five days in shop (with 07 C230 loaner) and replaced evaporator.
Then back again with details originally posted in this thread.
So: MB warranty ( always an MB loaner) evaporator, evap sensor, then compressor. 9 or 10 days in shop, very accommodating, professional service advisor.
So far, so good.

Next: hard shifting into second and third. Will try to get dealership to flush and filter tranny, but have been reading about "sealed for life" no drain plug tranny on W210 after 9/99 (mine is 3/00)

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Next: hard shifting into second and third. Will try to get dealership to flush and filter tranny, but have been reading about "sealed for life" no drain plug tranny on W210 after 9/99 (mine is 3/00)
Changing the filter and fluid (as much as possible) is the first thing I would do.

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changing the filter and fluid (as much as possible) is the first thing I would do.
(probably should start new thread . . . )
If not covered by warranty, I think the dealership charges $190.00 for "transmission servicing." I have seen the DIY and can probably handle it, but since I have warranty coverage until October 08 and something else may be wrong with tranny, I would hate to have coverage declined because I DIY'd a fluid flush on a sealed tranny then complained of other tranny problems.

Do you have any idea what an MB transmission servicing entails?
Do they get all the fluid out?

So far, this dealership has been very good to my 8 year old car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts