Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Merc ML270 CDI '01 & Merc Vito 108D '99
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Ive heard that there is a way to bypass the weight sensor in the passenger seat thingy by installing a resistor or something??? anyone any ideas on how to do this??

Regards

Mark

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Hi Guys

Ive heard that there is a way to bypass the weight sensor in the passenger seat thingy by installing a resistor or something??? anyone any ideas on how to do this??

Regards

Mark
Where have you heard this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got told off a dealership here, so you havent heard it being done?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It should be arriving tomorrow so i will know alot more then, this place in Poland also has the all activity module i need at €380 which i have been a long time looking for so thats great news, i will post up on my other post about the fitting of the ESP unit

Your not too hopeful on it fixing it are you?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Not really because I don't think you have found/ repaired the outlying problem and you are working without a scanner.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah well, tomorrow will tell us all

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
The seat sensor bypass in the W211s can be done via the SDS for cars put into taxi service all
over the world. In many countries no passengers are allowed in the front. So they put luggage there.
The weight of the luggage sets of the sensor and drives the taxi drivers crazy.
I do not know if it can be done to a W163. I believe in 01 models it was the child safety
seat sensor that was the biggest culprit. A scan with an SDS would confirm it or rule it out.
In some cases bad seat belt buckles could cause the SRS light, but it is rare.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
I had a hard SRS light that was caused by a TeleAid fault.
When it comes to Benz telematics, anything is possible.

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
I thought the OP said it was the weight sensor. If it was the Teleaid malfunction then
only a pro grade or SDS scan tool will clear the code. Then the sensor would have to
be replaced if it can not be turned off by the SDS.
Just for the record I would not disable the airbag. Can't put a price on safety or value
of life.

·
Registered
2001 ML320 & 2003 SL500
405 Posts
I did a lot of research on this and the only way that I found to get rid of the Air Bag Off & SRS light is to replace the child seat senor which is located with in the pass seat. It is a common problem with the W163.
If there is another way to fix..Please do tell?

·
Registered
2001 ML430
29 Posts
Hi! I did a lot of research and nothing... I took the sensor out of the seat and in addition to the mat it has a box with a circuit inside, looks like this circuit is sending always a signal so i tried to see how many ohms the sensor mat has to cut the mat and put some resistors instead but it was impossible to do. So I gave up and just put everything back with no sensor mat and took the bulbs out of my dash so I don't have the warnings light on. Honestly after a couple of days I don't even remember those bulbs weren't there :) . Maybe one day I will buy a sensor mat... If for some reason you find a solution please post it. Thanks...

PD. BMW have the same problem and there is a bypass circuit to resolve the issue, I don't know why there is no a bypass for Mercedes...

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
On ebay I saw a bypass box that goes between the the seat electronics and the SRS
computer. It spoofs the correct signal and SRS lights stay off.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On ebay I saw a bypass box that goes between the the seat electronics and the SRS
computer. It spoofs the correct signal and SRS lights stay off.
Wow....any chance of a link?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
I'm also confused, but for a different reason. It seems that money is always the issue even when it applies to the safety of family and friends and other unimportant people who occupy that seat.

You are dealing with someone from Lithuania (not that the country is bad or evil) who has no worries about being sued if the passenger air bag does not deploy in an accident. Are you willing to be the test case?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
can someone tell me where the fuse for the airbag light is?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts