Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
v220cdi A140
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a new pump from Germany fitted everything working well.
Then had a tow bar fitted, use that for the first time today and I think I have damaged the level control sensors, the suspension is rock bottom the red light is on on the dash, if you press the switch the compressor cuts in but the vehicle wont rise! If I jack the back end up the compressor will not cut in it must believe the suspension does not require air, if I lower the jack the air compressor fires into life just before it bottom out.
Can the sensor be adjusted?
If that is what it is?
Thanks

·
Registered
2001 V220CDI Fashion
8 Posts
Hi there, I assume that a tow bar is for towing caravans etc.
Might be an idea to verify that the air-pressure tubing(yellow and blue) isn't damaged or clamped in any way.
Happened to me during refitting of new tubing due to poor craftmanship.(My own work)
Anyway, if the tubing is damaged and leaking it should be possible to hear the leakage.
Have been struggeling with my suspension for some time, getting a bit tired of it. But the car really deserves this to be at it's best.
Good luck.

·
Registered
v220cdi A140
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
been sitting under the car the compressor cuts in and I have checked that air is going into the solenoids, but the car still wont rise?
I have removed the ride height solenoids and these are clicking when the arm is moved up or down but this will not start the compressor it has to be manually switched on.
Does any one know who the signal is sent between ride height switch to solenoids, is it a direct link or does it go via a control box I havent found?
If the car is jack with the wheels hanging the compressor will not cut in even on manual mode, but if you jack up a wheel to the tyre is almost touch the body the compressor will cut in, it seems the rear hieght swithes are not sending a signal for air until the wheels have nearly bottomed out.
Any help or else back to Mercedes another guess with cash.

·
Registered
v220cdi A140
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May Thanks Tricky, after looking at the diagramme I ended up under the vehicle again, I fitted a 5mm push fit to a 20 BAR guage removed the airline from the compressor to the solenoids and pressed the manual switch --compressor fired up sounded fine and even when you could feel air being deivered registered no pressure on the dial guage.
So my suspicions that the solenoids were not opening to allow air to the back are unfounded it was the compressor had failed an easy check to find which was or was not working.
Next I fitted an inline gate valve on each of the rear supply pipes (Yellow and Blue) then connected 2 small lengths of 5mm tube to a 4way junction piece one back the guage one to an inflator (tyre or compressor)and the other two to each of the gate valves.
Once this was connected I allowed air into the system slowly watching when the vehicle reached height I then closed the gate valves trapping air at 6bar in the back end.
I have now removed the compressor and found that all the air is being lost via a grey 90 fitting on top of the compressor motor instead of the outlet tube. Has anyone had such a problem.
The compressor is only a few months old a Magnum 52 unboxed type, sowill be sending it back to be checked over unless someone states something I have not seen.
The compressor is a nice well made bit of kit far better than the genuine MB product, its a shame it has failed.

·
Registered
Bandwidth
3,256 Posts
May Thanks Tricky, after looking at the diagramme I ended up under the vehicle again, I fitted a 5mm push fit to a 20 BAR guage removed the airline from the compressor to the solenoids and pressed the manual switch --compressor fired up sounded fine and even when you could feel air being deivered registered no pressure on the dial guage.
So my suspicions that the solenoids were not opening to allow air to the back are unfounded it was the compressor had failed an easy check to find which was or was not working.
Next I fitted an inline gate valve on each of the rear supply pipes (Yellow and Blue) then connected 2 small lengths of 5mm tube to a 4way junction piece one back the guage one to an inflator (tyre or compressor)and the other two to each of the gate valves.
Once this was connected I allowed air into the system slowly watching when the vehicle reached height I then closed the gate valves trapping air at 6bar in the back end.
I have now removed the compressor and found that all the air is being lost via a grey 90 fitting on top of the compressor motor instead of the outlet tube. Has anyone had such a problem.
The compressor is only a few months old a Magnum 52 unboxed type, sowill be sending it back to be checked over unless someone states something I have not seen.
The compressor is a nice well made bit of kit far better than the genuine MB product, its a shame it has failed.
V Klasse kit is top-notch - your problem may lie with the air tubes/connectors, make sure all tubes are are PROPERLY secured as a slight misalignment at connection will cause the air to leak out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts