Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a new ML. What your thoughts.

Is the air suspension a worth while investment?

Does anyone know how the new W164 w/o air suspension drives compared to the W163 (to my knowledge the W163 never had air suspension, right?).

How reliable is the air suspension?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can't compare a W163 to a W164. That is bad advice.

I had an 06 ML without, I have an 08 ML without, and I have driven an 08 ML with and an 07 R with. I am not a fan of Airmatic. I do see the merit of adjustable height, shock etc but for me, I don't see the need. I suggest driving both to see the difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Depends on the roads in your area and how you plan to use the vehicle. For me, the Airmatic has been a great feature and I highly recommend it. Our local roads and highways tend to be rough, so the adaptable damping system makes a big difference in ride quality over the stock suspension. But to find the negatives, you can search this forum and the GL forum -- the tiny compressors can get overworked and fail without warning. So far, mine has worked well.

good luck,

gawdfatha
2007 ML320 CDI - P3 Airmatic

·
Registered
80 Posts
if you want to and can spend the extra money, get the air suspension.

the stock is a little too soft when you want it to be harder, and the air suspension just gives a much better dynamic driving experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can't compare a W163 to a W164. That is bad advice.

I had an 06 ML without, I have an 08 ML without, and I have driven an 08 ML with and an 07 R with. I am not a fan of Airmatic. I do see the merit of adjustable height, shock etc but for me, I don't see the need. I suggest driving both to see the difference.
Just curious. What don't you like about the airmatic?

Thanxs for the response guys. I'll definitely go out to test drive to see the difference.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Just curious. What don't you like about the airmatic?

Thanxs for the response guys. I'll definitely go out to test drive to see the difference.
Far superior ride and handling, less lean on turns. Ability to change ride to suit your tastes and ability to raise the vehicle if you deem it necessary. No contest, go for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the air suspension. Since it's height adjustable. I've read in many places in the forum that it is possible to raise it (ie: to get through fresh snow, etc). But is it possible to have a setup where it is lower than the non-air suspension setup?

·
Registered
559 Posts
With the air suspension. Since it's height adjustable. I've read in many places in the forum that it is possible to raise it (ie: to get through fresh snow, etc). But is it possible to have a setup where it is lower than the non-air suspension setup?
The Airmatic MLs already ride quite a bit lower than the non-Airmatic ones. This look was one of my main reasons for getting the system.

By placing Airmatic into Sport mode, the ML drops even further down. I always use this when parking (guess from the Range Rover "Access mode" days) so that it's easier to get out/unload things.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
You can get an ELM (electronic lowering module) from some of the aftermarket tuners. Carlsson, Renntech, Brabus, etc. I'm not sure which have an ELM for the W164 but you can call around and ask. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lowering module

I am interested in knowing more about the lowering module(s). Specifically,

1. How does the lowering module work?
  2. What does it cost?
  3. How does it affect ride when driving lower than stock?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I am interested in knowing more about the lowering module(s). Specifically,
  1. How does the lowering module work?
  2. What does it cost?
  3. How does it affect ride when driving lower than stock?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim
According to Renntech's site, it's $1195 for theirs. Brabus and Carlsson doesn't list the prices on their website. Each company's lowering module lowers the Airmatic a different height. I'm pretty sure the Renntech ELM is adjustable so it's not always lower than stock.

I'm not too familiar with how these ELMs work. You might have better luck over on mymbonline.com where you can ask their sponsors that sell and install these all the time. Ask in their Suspension & Brakes forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts