Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 V220cdi that has covered 30000 miles, just put it in for it's first MOT and a week before the warning light on the dash for the rear air suspension came on.

Local MB garage put it through the MOT, passed, but when looking at the air suspension problem said that it would most likely be the valve unit, cost about £240 to replace, mentioned that it could be pump, but they had to change the valve first, this done and it turns out to be the pump. This will cost £680 + vat + fitting!!! So expecting bill to be over £1000 + when car picked up.

Because car bought from Trade Sales in Slough and is an import ( informed by MB from Ireland) has only a two year warranty.

Local MB garage asked MB UK for good will refused at present. Always been serviced at MB So bill to me.

My beef is that they have had to change a good part at a cost of £240+ to see if pump was faulty!!
Can the pump be checked without going to this expense of changing valve first???

Also has anyone had dealings with MB UK in getting some form of contrabution, do they make an offer or do you have to fight to get soemthing from them? I have logged complaint with them.

vehicle is used for private use and I would not expect a component of this value to fail so soon, but it appears that it could be a common fault.

Any comments would be appreciated, as vehicle was stuck in MB garage, had no option but to replace, have seen articles on conversion and would have considered it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The pump and valves can all be tested without being removed. I have certainly tested the valves on my V-class and it was very easy - just unplug one socket and apply 12V. I haven't tested the pump, but it should simply be a matter of supplying it with 12V - no fancy footwork necessary. MB should have found the faulty component before replacing anything. But, the valves do seem to have a limited life (poor design I guess). If you need a new pump then, I think, a new set of valves would be worthwhile - after all the pump and valves can be bought as a pre-assembled unit.

In any case, I can't see why it should be necessary to change the valves before the pump.

I have read bits and pieces on the Germany Merc website about the air suspension. I think I agree that it is generally a 'good thing'. Yes, the parts do fail but so do standard springs. The benefit of the self leveling suspension is probably worth the cost - although in your case the cost is rather high.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[:(]
Since I had the car back from MB the rear driver side air spring bellows split and dropped, so in total costed me £1240 and MB at present do not wish to make any contribution, which if there is a design weekness then feel a bit agreeved at.

Anyone had any success at getting a contribution back from MB?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts