Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the issues is that my 2004 E500 sedan drivers side rear supension that drops sometimes. It will hold the air most of the day and sometimes for a couple of days. Then usually over night the driver rear side will drop. I can hear the air escaping but I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Is there a relief valve anywhere there that would allow the air to escape? I was thinking the rear leveling sensor might be malfunctioning but where does the air escape from and why does it only do it sometimes. Is there only one level sensor because I can't see the passenger rear sensor underneath.

Taking it to the dealership is not an option because I want to fix it. I've done most of the work to this car and I'm pretty good with cars. I was a diesel mecanic for 10 years.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
I would use the old soapy water spray trick. When you hear the air escaping spray the
lines and air springs and look for bubbles. You will have found the leak. Also there is
a pressure tank that is part of the rear system. The connection from the hose at that
tank that feeds into the air system has been known to corrode so check that also. If that
is the problem in many cases the corrosion can be cleaned up and it will seal up again.

As far as I know there is not a relief valve at the rear. The reserve pressure tank I mentioned
would capture excess air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
theres a great write up in the forum

somewhere in the forum theres a great write up my car has the same issue still havent fixed type in e500 rear suspension the problem is a rubber hose that goes from the shock to aluminum reservoir

·
Registered
Testing Cars ('01 S430), ('04 CL500), ('05 S500), ('05 SL500), ('07 S550), ('09 E550), ('10 GL450)
87 Posts
So the issues is that my 2004 E500 sedan drivers side rear supension that drops sometimes. It will hold the air most of the day and sometimes for a couple of days. Then usually over night the driver rear side will drop. I can hear the air escaping but I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Is there a relief valve anywhere there that would allow the air to escape? I was thinking the rear leveling sensor might be malfunctioning but where does the air escape from and why does it only do it sometimes. Is there only one level sensor because I can't see the passenger rear sensor underneath.

Taking it to the dealership is not an option because I want to fix it. I've done most of the work to this car and I'm pretty good with cars. I was a diesel mecanic for 10 years.
It sounds like your rear air springs are leaking. They leak where they roll over the lower piston. You can’t actually see the leak because the air springs are inside a plastic dust cover. If you can wait we are releasing remanufactured springs next month. They are going to cost around $300.00 each.

Thanks
Adam
Arnottinc.com

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
285 Posts
Great service. These air suspension models seem to have lots of issues. Just have lots of DIY video and folks will come beating to your door. After all the air suspension does offer a superior ride.

It sounds like your rear air springs are leaking. They leak where they roll over the lower piston. You can’t actually see the leak because the air springs are inside a plastic dust cover. If you can wait we are releasing remanufactured springs next month. They are going to cost around $300.00 each.

Thanks
Adam
Arnottinc.com

·
Registered
2004 E500
194 Posts

Thanks
Adam
Arnottinc.com
if you all could contact me as soon as you get these i would greatly appreciate it! im already on ur contact list. this will be the third one on my drivers left side!

·
Registered
2004 E500
194 Posts
Great service. These air suspension models seem to have lots of issues. Just have lots of DIY video and folks will come beating to your door. After all the air suspension does offer a superior ride.
yup thats what i hate about this car is the numerous times and the countless dollars i have spent to fix this issue. the dealer hates me haha. its sad that when you drive up and they already know whats going on! out of all the miles i have put on this car its the only real drawback to having one with the AIRmatic system

·
Registered
2004 E500
194 Posts

im in the same boat but at a 12 hr job its a big pain in the butt, hence the reason its best to replace both at the same time since you have to drop the rear subframe on drive line

·
Registered
2004 E500
194 Posts
THIRD one? How many miles on your car?
Driver front 2
Passenger front 2

driver rear 2 (it just started to give out again)
passenger rear 2

and on its second air pump

i have 127K on it currently

bought in jan 08 with 21K
from jan 08 to Sept 08 my parents only put 5K (when i was stationed in Japan)
from Sep 08 to now I have put 102K

·
Registered
E320
129 Posts

Thanks
Adam
Arnottinc.com
Does your company have any plans to release remanufactured rear shock absorbers for airmatic semi active suspension? MB parts number may be 2113200631. OEM part is too expensive for just another 60k miles. :surrender:

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 E500
194 Posts
Does your company have any plans to release remanufactured rear shock absorbers for airmatic semi active suspension? MB parts number may be 2113200631. OEM part is too expensive for just another 60k miles. :surrender:
those i bought from Advance Auto and they are doing good so far i have just over 40K on them right now, no problems as of yet

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2004 E500 W211 has a very strange airmatic issue in the rear when the airmatic system is on that is the vehicle raised it will hold air all the time no leaks after the engine is off so no power to the pump. When the system is turned off vehicle at normal height, engine stopped it will allow the rear to drop all the way down. The code said replace rear axle positioning sensor and cable $628.00. It still does the same thing, when turn on and raised up holds air when power off, when turned off and in normal position the rear drops after a few hours. according to the dealer and the star diagnostic the rear air springs are not leaking? help

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2004 E500 W211 has a very strange aromatic issue in the rear when the airmatic system is on that is the vehicle raised it will hold air all the time no leaks after the engine is off so no power to the pump. When the system is turned off vehicle at normal height, engine stopped it will allow the rear to drop all the way down. The code said replace rear axle positioning sensor and cable $628.00. It still does the same thing, when turn on and raised up holds air when power off, when turned off and in normal position the rear drops after a few hours. according to the dealer and the star diagnostic the rear air springs are not leaking?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The most common problem is the Solonoid on the top of the airbag it can be very tempremental sometimes it holds other times it will leak. This is on my E320 w211 Estate with with rear sel leveling suspension only.

·
Registered
2005 E500S4
349 Posts
The most common problem is the Solonoid on the top of the airbag it can be very tempremental sometimes it holds other times it will leak. This is on my E320 w211 Estate with with rear sel leveling suspension only.
Is there a way to replace just solenoid or do you have to replace the entire airbag assembly.

Mine is malfunctioning on the driver's side rear only. I repaired the connection to the aluminum reservoir tank and verified that it is not leaking via soap and water spray. Can no longer hear leaking either so no clue where the leak is coming from now. I suspect the solenoid.

Jeff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its most likely the Solonoid that sits on top of the air spring its a common fault and there is no repair for the solonoid that i know off.
I have bought two new Arnott air springs to fit and it includes new solonoids i have also bought a new Arnott pump compressor it well past its working life, i will also fit a new air pump relay as this is a requirment when fitting a new pump.As i have no intention of selling my car i will bear the cost and its not cheap 2x air springs £577, 1x compressor £277 plus around 4 hours labour it needs the star diagnostic tool to reset the levelling etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Airmatic air springs failed on my 2007 e550 luxury sedan. The problem appears to have been coming from a leak in the aluminum reservoir (which sounds like it is a known problem). The dealer wanted thousands to drop the subframe and replace the components with OEM parts and so I did some research and found Arnott after markets products. I found a local shop who would install the Arnott air springs which do away with the need for the reservoir and eliminate the need to drop the subframe - so the total cost was $1500 for both installed vs. over $5000 at the dealer. So far, they have been working fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts