Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
MB 300 SL
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the car this evening to go out for a nice quite drive. Unfortunattly my SL had other ideas. I started her and heard the worst noise coming from under the hood. It is the smog pump. Has any one ever replaced one of these? I am wondering how do I reduce the tension on the belt and if there are any other concerns I should have. I found a rebuilt air pump in Ca for $200 plus my exchange and am going to have it overnighted to me so I can have it together for the weekend. Any adivice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Rich
1992 300SL

·
Registered
1991 500SL
19 Posts
I started the car this evening to go out for a nice quite drive. Unfortunattly my SL had other ideas. I started her and heard the worst noise coming from under the hood. It is the smog pump. Has any one ever replaced one of these? I am wondering how do I reduce the tension on the belt and if there are any other concerns I should have. I found a rebuilt air pump in Ca for $200 plus my exchange and am going to have it overnighted to me so I can have it together for the weekend. Any adivice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Rich
1992 300SL

I had the same problem. You can replace just part of the pump, usually it's just the electric/electronic clutch on the pump that goes. It is NOT, in an easy place to get at. I elected to simply bypass the thing altogether, use a 1/4 in thick rope and wind your way around all of the other belt wheels, go to the Pep boys a nd buy a belt - less than $20 - fixed! Your check engine light will come on, and you will not be able to pass smog, but it's a cheap temp fix.

Nik

1 - 3 of 3 Posts