Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
I had an air pump on my 560SEC that had the same type of injection as on your '92 SL. It was electric and it shorted out, blowing the AC fuse. My buddy mechanic explained to me that it would only come on at start-up and run for less than 30 seconds - an emissions thing. The car would start just fine without it, and it would pass emissions inspection since they do not check a vehicle at start-up. He left it up to me to either replace it or leave it unplugged so my AC would work. I did not replace it, unplugged it, and enjoyed my AC in the Houston, TX and Tuscon, AZ summers!

·
10,293 Posts
actually the pump itself is 100% mechanic in your 560 and early R129.

The electrical part that's shorted out in your car is the clutch that engaged and disengaged the pump.

in later years, and once this became mandatory by OBD specs (1997) the pump became electrical, and yes, Mercedes is that far ahead in technology... at least was...

here is a great link that explains the operation of the secondary air pump.

12v Pages - The Engine - How it Works

the only difference is the one you re asking about is mechanical, and the hoses are to inject the air into the manifold...

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Info Guys, another snippet for my Merc folder. I joined here in Aug 2010 with very limited knowledge on the SL. I am now confident doing a lot of stuff myself on this vehicle, and it is down to the great info I have gleaned from the members on this site, which I estimate as saved me big dollars. A big thank you to everyone :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts