Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the correct way to fix this issue,but I'm wondering if there is a simple (cheap) work around. The bearing on my air pump is starting to growl a bit so I know it will give up soon. It is also my understanding that the air pump doesn't provide a necessary function for my car, given when it is used etc. So is there anything I can do to either prolong the life of the air pump bearing or work around the bearing when it goes, short of replacing the pump.?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. Been reading about owners just replacing the belt and by-passing the air pump pulley altogether while leaving the pump in place. Can someone please confirm that the belt size required to do that is 93.5. My car is a 1990 190e 2.6. Thanks guys.

·
W201 Moderator
2,167 Posts
My wild guess is you will need an '89 belt which does not have an air pump Glen.
I do not have the part number handy but I'm sure some one will chime in.

- Cheers!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my local M-B shop suggested using a belt specified for a non air pump car. Apparently that calls for a belt that is 89 inches long versus the air pump belt that is 95 inches long. Does that seems right? I also noticed that Haynes ( Page 1A-13) shows routing with and without the air pump. But I'm thinking about leaving the air pump in place but by-passing its pulley.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Mind me if I'm asking, where is the "smog pump" within the attached pictures (From the W201 maint. manual)?
It's not shown on either of those diagrams. Those are either pre-smog pump or Euro. I believe smog pump equipped cars have some different bracketry and...

Correction: It's above the alternator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
partnumber187
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing