Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'99 E320 Sedan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my codes read and was told that my Air Mass Meter was causing the Chk Eng Lt to come on. Is there any individual check, such as resistance values, that will individually check the meter. They reset the light but said it will come back. Seems that if the AMM was bad, the light would immediately return---it has not yet. There is no "obvious" disrepair to the internal parts of thhe AMM. At $300+ I want to be damn sure it is bad.
Anyone know of an inexpensive source for this thing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wait for a couple of days and your Check Engine light will turn on again to verify the MAF Sensor failure. Are there any symptoms present like Hesitation, Misfire, Hard Starting, Rough Idle?- these are a few MAF Sensor failure symptoms but the intensity of such symtoms can cary depending on how bad your current MAF is. Unfortunately there are no clear physical signs to visually inspect your MAF since the common cause of MAF failures are internal electrical shorting/"frying".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here is one on ebay for $200:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7962240324&category=38634&sspagename=WDVW

Also there are others. You can get it cheaper than $300 it is just catching the deal.

·
Registered
'99 E320 Sedan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply and symptom verification.
The garage that downloaded my codes said they got indications of random bank misfires, and there is noticeable hesitation, especially when it is cold. Replacing the AMM seems like a good bet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Glad to be of assistance... Another way to further test your MAF Sensor Failure related hesitation/misfire would be to accelerate the car on full throttle or go uphill, youll notice the considerable power hesitation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts