Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
some MOGs, a G, an SL, some other junk
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my `86 2.3-16 I hear a strong air leak noise, as if from a punctured tire, or maybe an air compressor, coming from the vicinity of the left (driver) side rear axle. It's not the tire. This car has the SLS, which makes me think that system is leaking, but I thought it was all hydraulic fluid, not air???

The sound comes the minute I turn the key to the accessory position, and continues as I start the engine and just keeps going. Any ideas as to what it might be?

I haven't had a chance to jack the car up and tear the rear end apart, but any help as to where to start would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

· Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
577 Posts
your fuel pump is a little on the noisy side.be sure the filters are clean (before and a...

your fuel pump is a little on the noisy side.be sure the filters are clean (before and after pump). both can increase noise.....

· Registered
some MOGs, a G, an SL, some other junk
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I had forgotten that the fuel tank was right above the axle, instead of behind it...

Thanks. I had forgotten that the fuel tank was right above the axle, instead of behind it.

Weird thing is, at one point I actually felt air coming out of the bottom subframe plate directly in fornt of the driver side axle. Haven't been able to reproduce this airflow since, though I hear air somewhere underneath.

SLS seems to be holding level (unladen) and handles fine, though if I load it down it doesn't re-level itself (which is why I thought at first the problem was the SLS).

Thanks again, I'll check the fuel filters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.