Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1993 190e 2.3
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright , i just read a previous post concerning whether tis' easier to attach the manifold on the bench or in the car:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the middle of a head gasket replacement on my 1993 190E 2.6 I removed the head with the intake manifold in place and the exhaust manifold off. I have removed the intake for head reconditioning. The question is, when it comes time to reassemble I would like to do so with the intake off and then install it, after the head is properly in place and bolted, is it practical to install the manifold with the head in place, or should I put it back together on the bench.

Additionally is there a suggested brand of gasket goo that I should coat the head gasket with?

As always thank you for your help in advance.
so I have a question to build onto that- what about the "preheating Flange" that goes in between the head and the air intake mani. ? The 201 manual , linked on here, told me to replace it.....but it also tells how to test the thing. I'd planned on calling the MB dealer in Huntsville tomorrow and asking them, but I'd also like someone on here to give an opinion so i know you're not just trying to sell me something. anyone know if these things go out much...how important they are?

·
Registered
1993 190e 2.3
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to answer my own question; and perhaps anyone else's who might run into this in the future- I called the MB dealership and talked with the head guy. He said that all that the "preheating flange" , or whatever you want to call it, is for is just to heat the air when you first turn the car on, especially on a cold day. After the car reaches normal temperatures, the flange shuts itself off. So it's not hardly necessary, according to him, especially in hot humid weather such as here in Alabama.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts