1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 S500.
My check engine light came on.
It has been diagnosed as a crack in the air intake manifold.
I am being told to replace it.
I have the repair down to about 1.5k but I don't have the money to do it right now.
I am being told that if I dont replace the air intake manifold, it will lead to my catalytic converters will go bad.
Is this true?

The car runs great!

I am in South Florida.

Thank you

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
The manifold is aluminum and can be welded for a fraction of the price of a new manifold. Can you post of pic of this crack? I find it impossible to believe the car runs great with a cracked manifold.

But wait, do you mean intake manifold or exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

It is the air intake manifold.
I have tried to find the crack, but I cant find it anywhere.
The mechanics said it is a very small crack and the only way to find it is to spray around the manifold, then the engine accelerates because it is sucking in the ether. That is how they determined that the manifold was cracked.

I just dont have 1.5k to pay for such a repair now, but dont want to create more expensive repairs if I dint have it repaired.

Thanks, s500guy

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

It is the air intake manifold.
I have tried to find the crack, but I cant find it anywhere.
The mechanics said it is a very small crack and the only way to find it is to spray around the manifold, then the engine accelerates because it is sucking in the ether. That is how they determined that the manifold was cracked.

I just dont have 1.5k to pay for such a repair now, but dont want to create more expensive repairs if I dint have it repaired.

Thanks, s500guy
OK, you do not have a cracked manifold, the cracked manifolds only happened on the early 164 models, but not the S Class. You have a vacuum leak and it may be manifold seals or Throttle valve seal or fuel injector seals.

These people do not know what they are doing so take it to a shop that can identify the vacuum leak. And they will identify exactly where the either is sucked in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
take it to nemo at rage-tec 2021 sw 70 ave # 89 he is just off st rd 84 between university and davie rd ext i block south on 70 turn right go to the end of the warehouse, last bay you will see a dyno in there tell him jim sent u

also tell him you have a vac leak,, you may know the place i set up a dyno day there a year ago with jerry,,,,,,jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts