Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I need a new air injector pump. The best price I've found is $581. Part # is 0001403785 I got this from a MB warehouse. It would appear that this pump is used on a number of different MB cars. Does anyone know of a cheeper source?

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
nbtwb, I don't know any other place that has secondary air pumps for less $. However, you can try local junk yards.

·
Registered
79 450 SL, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2016 E400 Cabriolet
193 Posts
I'm pretty sure I paid less. It was OEM and either ebay or an online dealer in Maryland. I will check. Did this a couple months ago - make sure your valves aren't clogged and don't break them while trying to take them off (like I did one).

·
Registered
2000 ML320
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't find any air injection pumps on ebay. There is no wrecking yards within 1200 miles. Does anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
NB, ouch, I hate that you have to unA$$ that kind of expense. can you check out the CAT recall as your avitar mentions a '00 MY? As I understand the topic, this gerble wheel is desinged intially to warm up the CATs upon initial starup--esp in an area where you have to pass emissions. I am curious as to how you derived that the 2ndary AP is the culprit:confused: I've mentioned in a few other posts semi-related to this that I found on visual inspection of my own system it was in fact NOT the issue. cmitch & others have written extensivley that the teeny tiney hoses/clamps/etc can be brittle and crack--in my case just stupidly unplugged:eek: thus not a true seal and extrernal air & a 2ndary air CEL light. assuming (I hate that word as in my business it ='s ass+u+me) + part = big $$'s, can you trace down for us how you got here? my puny instinct of this system still rests a case on the fact that there might be a missing/weak (vacuum leak) link---greg, 43, & others advice as evidence:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 ML320
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked into the cat recall and was told by the only Alaska dealer that my rig wasn't covered and since I was 1200 miles away there wasn't anything he could do. I tried to contact MB via the number listed on the recall but they're only open between 8:00 to 12:00 Alaska time. I spent all my time on hold. No one ever answered. After the way Saab & BMW has helped me because of my remote location I don't think much of MB support!

The air injection pump makes a bad bearing noise. It's intermittent (depending on tempature) at this point but a bad bearing will always get worse.

There is a gross emission leak per P0455 if I can read his hand writing correctly. As a number of hoses have been replaced already and the number of threads about vacuum leaks all hoses will be checked before winter.

I'm also ordering a crank position sensor and a cam position sensor as I can be sure that are none are in town. I will replace the crank sensor when I replace the driver side cat.

Thanks to all who provided information about replacing the crank sensor. I'm not looking forward to it.

There are a number of other questions I have like how am I supposed check the tranny fluid level? There is no dip stick only a locking cap.

That's all for now more to follow

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
nbtwb, trans fluid level is measured by using a "special" tool (dipstick). You can buy that dipstick/measuring tool on E-bay or MB dealer. You have to break that locking pin, insert the dispstick (while the engine is running and at approx 80 degree C). After you are done measuring, you will have to put a new pocking pin.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,925 Posts
when I replace the driver side cat.

In your original post you never mentioned anything about a bad cat. But you now say that you are replacing one. Why?

Oreif mentioned a cat recall, but the recall has nothing to do with the cats being defective. The recall pertains to faulty welds and nothing more. How does a bearing noise in the AIR pump translate into replacing the driver's side cat?

·
Registered
2000 ML320
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cat has a cracked weld. That was in an earlier post when someone provided the recall notice.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,925 Posts
The cat has a cracked weld. That was in an earlier post when someone provided the recall notice.
That someone was me, and the reason M/B turned you down on the repair, was that you are past the 8 yr. warranty on catalytic converters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts