Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1986 230GE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my fuel filter on my '86 230GE (as directed by an article on the clubgwagen.com website.) The fuel filter installation went great. I was then referred to another step (in the Fuel pump replacement article on the same website) and was told that you needed to remove the air out of the fuel line. The problem was that when I went to perform this step, I believe I located the fuel return line, but I could not locate the fuel pump cutoff safety switch.

I have included a few pictures to hopefully aid your suggestions in locating both the 'fuel return line' and the 'fuel pump cutoff safety switch'.

Thanks alot

Attachments

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Hello,

Sorry, I cant help with your actual questions since I have never looked for the switch or the return line, however, I did replace the fuel filter on my 230GE a year or so ago. After replacing the filter, I just started the engine like any other time. I did not bleed the lines. Maybe out of ignorance, but with hindsight, I dont see any need to do so.

Perhaps others will enlighten us both.

Bruce

·
Registered
280 ges 1989
321 Posts
This shows how to pressurize the fuel system on a 280ge which I guess would be very similar http://www.clubgwagen.com/gtech.php?pageTitle=G-Tech%20Article&sid=item&tid=25

On the 280ge the fuel pump relay is behind the dash on the left side.

see manual page attchd

I would have thought that any air would be got rid of by the constant return to the tank though

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Comments from the author. :^)

The safety switch is most likely under the black sheet metal intake pipe in your pictures. If you imagine the fuel/air meter as shown in the CGW article, the one on the 230 motor is rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise as it sits in the engine bay. That would have the effect of the cutoff switch rotating from next to the engine, to toward the front of the engine compartment.

All that said, Bruce is right, there's no ill effect in just firing it up after changing the filter. The only thing that MIGHT be noticed is a little rough running, or dificulty firing up at first. But there won't be any lasting effect.

Removing the safety plug and running the fuel pump a little bit just gets that purging back to the tank all out of the way before you try to start it up.

All the best,

-Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts