Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SL500R
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what a hissing sound would be, coming from my front drivers side quarter panel ? i was thinking pressurized air was somehow escaping something, maybe a leak in the line to the front drivers shock ?

its loud with my door open, then when i close the door it sounds like its in the door, but i know its just in the quarter panel. any suggestions on what to check ?

thanks in advance,
-tony

·
Registered
SL55
103 Posts
anyone know what a hissing sound would be, coming from my front drivers side quarter panel ? i was thinking pressurized air was somehow escaping something, maybe a leak in the line to the front drivers shock ?

its loud with my door open, then when i close the door it sounds like its in the door, but i know its just in the quarter panel. any suggestions on what to check ?

thanks in advance,
-tony
Most likely the ABC pressure accumulator. I have the same thing, taking the car in friday. That is overall bad news :(.

·
Registered
2003 SL500, 2005 ML500SE, 2005 CLK500 Cabriolet Avantgarde
249 Posts
Sorry to hear about this guys. I agree, everything ABC is overall bad news. It is particularly interesting to see this occur in a '05. You would think that MB would have sorted out such issues after over 3 years of production. I have experienced the usual failed ABC valve issue, but this pressure accumulator hissing thingy is rather interesting.

Please kindly keep the rest of us updated.

All the best!

·
Registered
2005 SL500R
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it started when the weather turned colder. if i drive to work, it could do it the whole way, or it could stop once the car is thouroughly warmed up. its a weird occurrance.

so i was thinking maybe a loose connection at a joint in an air line somewhere. i'll investigate when it warms up...... in april

·
Registered
SL55
103 Posts
I have taken my car to the dealer probably about three months ago for this same thing and they told me that it's just a 'noisy' accumulator and I should just drive it the way it is. Now my ABC light comes on pretty frequently so I'm going to take the car to another place to check it out. It's possible that the light is related to some other problem. I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
SL55
103 Posts
yes, apparently the valve block clogged which then in turn killed the pump and since they are doing all of that I also had them replace the rear valve block as well. My suggestion would be that you get to the bottom of it sooner rather than later and before it causes a lot more damage then there may be already.

·
Registered
2005 SL500R
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
before you got it fixed, did you notice anything physically wrong ? like one of the corners of your car wasn't sitting even, or the suspension sucked while you were driving ?

·
Registered
SL55
103 Posts
Looking back, there were warning signs. I had a red ABC drive carefully warning come up once a while ago but since it didn't come back I ignored it. I noticed once that the front left side dropped really low after I drove from SF to Lake Tahoe but the car was parked on a decline and uneven pavement so I chalked it up to that. I haven't actually measured height so it's possible that there were differences.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 2004 SL500R and mine has done the same thing since it has gotten really cold it goes away after the car is warmed up.. soo im guessing its common

·
Registered
sl500
137 Posts
i have the same issue. Car parked for the winter....started it up once in awhile, and noticed a hissing sound right by drivers door. I suspect like you say, its the accumulator going or faulty valve block. I had my rear block replaced but not my front. The tech did say that the front was eventually going to go, but at that time he faked the system and presurrized the abc, by putting an air hose in the oil resivoir to pump it up. It held, however when I started it the other day, idled for approx 20 min, the left front dropped considerably. upon pushing the abc button up one level and then to the next (both red leds on) it performed normally and height came back up. Obviously the valve or accumulator is faulty at this point and I do not think my high pressure hose ( that has a recall on it) was ever replaced. , so as soon as the snow melts I will replace the hose and frt valve block, and then I should be good to go onthe whole abc system at least for the next 7-8 yrs. Get a valve block (preferably new) and a hose ( or have it replaced on the recall) then have a shop do the repairs.

·
Registered
sl500
137 Posts
Here's what I have just experienced lately. While the car has been sitting for the winter, i started it up the other day and ran it in idle for approx 20 min. while sitting in the car the left front dropped all of a sudden very low ( like frt drivers side tire almost touching top of wheel well). Stopped car, restarted car and hit abs button to raise car, car started to raise up to normal positions. I did notice the hissing noise coming from drivers side low door area once car was started and cold. once warmed up noise seem to dissapate. car is now at upper position ( abc) which I believe locks the valves at this height. I will try this senerio again and report back to see if i can replicate the same issue. I did replace my rear valve block last yr but not the front one. I suspect the front one needs to be replaced and the pump at the same time.$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
sl500
137 Posts
super monkey, i have the same hissing sound on warm up and then fades away once warmed up. I agree with the acumulator which was diagnosed a few months back but they said it was not an emergency thing to replace at the moment. Can this affect the tandom pump? If they did not replace your rear valve block and pump then what would have been the cost then?

·
Registered
SL55
103 Posts
I believe that was something to the tune of $1200 (give or take $200, I'd have to look at the invoice) with parts and labor for both accumulators that I had replaced.

·
Registered
sl500
137 Posts
where is the actual frt valve block located? in frt of the drivers side wheel or behind the same wheel? I do know that Mercedes did change the design of this valve block lately and does not look like the old one.

·
Registered
sl500
137 Posts
super monkey, you mean the both accumulators on both valve blocks (frt and rear)?

I had my rear replaced but not the frt. so I am sure not to far in the future I will have to upgrade to that new frt valve block that is avail. Just trying to see if I can get it elsewhere at a lower price. tks

·
Registered
SL55
103 Posts
Yes, I had both accumulators replaced. I effectively had most ABC parts replaced, less the struts which seem to be holding up for now. The parts are really expensive, I can get them at 20% discount from my local dealer and that is still a lot.

·
Registered
sl500
137 Posts
the frt valve on the outside is very different looking compared to the old unit, I have seen both. Looks like mercedes did a complete overhaul on the design, just kept the price the same. there is one on ebay right now (used) and it is the old version. I have a picture of the new one and they are definately different. I just have not experienced any abc lights coming on at all. Can you estimate how long after you started to notice the hissing that the lights came on? tks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts