Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'87 560SL / '00 Celica GT-S / '92 Volvo 960 / '70 F-100
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed while driving around today that I could feel air coming from the center vent (and watch the flap open and close) but not the side vents. Isn't it one big flap that controls all of that? My only guesses are...

Maybe the flap isn't opening all the way because the legroom pod is known to be bad, and the system is losing vacuum?

The flap might not be opening all the way because the heater box is broken? The pod hidden inside there and the plastic it rivets to is shifted inside the heater box, but not by much.

Cracked defrost vent where pod 38a attaches? I haven't ever read about this one...

The double pod passed every test I could think of so I doubt that's it... It seems like the common problem is no air coming from the center vents, not air coming from the center but none from the sides. FWIW air is coming through the defrost vent too.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
I noticed while driving around today that I could feel air coming from the center vent (and watch the flap open and close) but not the side vents. Isn't it one big flap that controls all of that? My only guesses are...

Maybe the flap isn't opening all the way because the legroom pod is known to be bad, and the system is losing vacuum?

The flap might not be opening all the way because the heater box is broken? The pod hidden inside there and the plastic it rivets to is shifted inside the heater box, but not by much.

Cracked defrost vent where pod 38a attaches? I haven't ever read about this one...

The double pod passed every test I could think of so I doubt that's it... It seems like the common problem is no air coming from the center vents, not air coming from the center but none from the sides. FWIW air is coming through the defrost vent too.
Confused here... If you mean the two outboard vents, one at each end of the dash, they are on all the time. You control them via the sliders under the vents.

Air will bleed from def vents as well... Not fully closed, and foam seal is probably deteriorated. Loss of vacuum will cause slow to non-functional pods, especially the two-stage def pod (#38).
I have not read of pod #38 (def pod) breaking its mountings...

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/11883/PROGRAM/Om/om-22.pdf

Have you visited The 107SL Source Page ? follow the links to the DIY encyclopedia and then the center vents article.

Attachments

·
Registered
'87 560SL / '00 Celica GT-S / '92 Volvo 960 / '70 F-100
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok wow, I think you're right... I assumed from other cars owned in the past that big end of the triangle = more air. This one is the opposite.

Thanks for the pic - I did not know that up arrow + down arrow = bi-level and that down = normal. My interpretation of the picture on the buttons was that up/down arrow = air comes out the top vents and up black/down white = arrow comes from the floor vents only. Wrong again...

I'll have to test that out when I head to the store to get some material for seat covers today. The PO meant well, but covering the seat bottom with duct tape turns it into a sticky mess in summer.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
...Thanks for the pic - I did not know that up arrow + down arrow = bi-level and that down = normal. My interpretation of the picture on the buttons was that up/down arrow = air comes out the top vents and up black/down white = arrow comes from the floor vents only...
I doubt you are alone on this one :)

I'll have to test that out when I head to the store to get some material for seat covers today. The PO meant well, but covering the seat bottom with duct tape turns it into a sticky mess in summer.
I might know someone who has a set of sheepskins, including the headrest and armrest covers... He hasn't made up his mind about selling...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts