1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have an slk230 1999
and a weird issue which i never saw any reference to :
my SC air flap gets closed as soon as i turn the switch . and never opens
meaning that when the SC starts blowing the boost overwhelms the pipes leading the air to the engine .
my question is :
1. when the switch is turned on is it supposed to close ?
2. is it an actuator issue or perhaps control signal issue ?
3. dtc codes im getting are : P1235,P0130,P0170,P1580,P1525.

some points , my maf is new and cleaned no oil in the maf or in the solenoid that control the valve .
any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
2,594 Posts
classic symptoms of a faulty K40 relay.

search for k40 relay on here on how to repair it/where to find it. simple fix re-soldering a few dry solder joints again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
classic symptoms of a faulty K40 relay.

search for k40 relay on here on how to repair it/where to find it. simple fix re-soldering a few dry solder joints again
I tought about it , and took the K40 relay it looked ok but i wanted to be sure so i soldered it any way but still the same issue . and the k40 looks like new .

·
Registered
351 Posts
1. when the switch is turned on is it supposed to close ? Yes, it is supposed to be closed after initial (cold) startup, as long as the compressor is running
2. is it an actuator issue or perhaps control signal issue ? the actuator does not likely break; usually, it is an electric/electronic issue: could be as simple (and rel cheap) as a broken wire (from the engine computer to the actuator), a clogged secondary valve, and as expensive as a fouled-up computer. My advice is to go to a mechanic (if not the dealer) to check the signals arriving at the actuator end to exclude the "simple" wire break.
3. dtc codes i'm getting are : P1235,P0130,P0170,P1580,P1525. P0130 indicates O2 sensor malfunction - could be at the root of the issue ie, sensor or engine computer defect. As far as I know, only the dealer has the right software to diagnose a computer problem. Unfortunately, they tend to do a lot or "trial and error", on your budget. Eg, swap the sensor; if problem persists, change another part, and so on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a follow up for the future for people with the same issue.
i resolved my issue it was indeed the air flap - which i had to replace and go throughe the relearn procedure ,
if your system is over boosting and the air flap gets closed as soon as you start the car, and u get error codes p0410 and p0130 . its the air flap just replace it .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts