Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML55 & 2002 C32 & R5
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing air filters on 2002 C32... Is it a imple process or the dealer requiremnet... Online DIY...?
:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Changing air filters on 2002 C32... Is it a imple process or the dealer requiremnet... Online DIY...?
VERY SIMPLE.... just a matter of un screwing a few screws and dropping inplace. I would stay a way from Oiled up filters like K&N or Green... OEM is perfectly fine.... the oiled filters can damage your MAP sensor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i would spend the money on upgrading to better plug wires like LET's ... or go with a bigger heat exchanger. b/c the $100 or so for some air filters aren't worth the money for measurable but un noticed HP gains

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
Super Easy Fix.
Get a high quality Air Filter, either online or through your Stealership.
Open your A/F Housing.
Vacuum out all the Debris, wasps, sand, bugs, rocks etc.
Use a Sharpie Marker, record on the Side of the new A/F the Mileage
Install the A/F
Button up the A/F Housing and your done.
Est time: 10 minutes

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
I changed mine recently, it took me 10 mins because i had to find an extension cord for the vacuum.

:goojob:
10 Minutes? What took you so long? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1996 C280 and 2010 E350 4-Matic
280 Posts
K&N Filters should not present a problem

I chose my words carefully. "They should not present a problem" - if they are oiled right - NOT EXCESSIVELY - they should not bother the MAS. If they are new K&N's you put in, they should be oiled "Just right" at the factory and give you good service.

I changed my filters to K&N about 1,000 miles ago and have not had any problem, but I must admit, unlike on other cars where I have done the same thing, I did not notice any appreciable gain in power (somewhat subjective).
What I like about K&N is that you can leave them in for 50,000 miles. At that point some owners clean them and re-oil; some just throw them away and put in new. I will probably never get there as I drive little, but if I do, I think I will throw them away and put in new K&N's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts