Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seal where the air filter box joins the side of the engine bay has deteriorated on my ML. I ordered part number 163 505 00 50 (part 14 on the attachment) but only ended up with the plastic part that the seal slips over. The EPC doesn't list this seal as a separate part on the drawing. It may be listed on another assembly:confused::confused: but I can't find it.

Does anyone know the part number of this seal.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,772 Posts
It would help greatly if you took a few photos (before and after removal) of what you are referring to.

The illustration below is the other half of the intake (disregard the arrow).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
This seal actually is the air inlet from the right front wheelwell. I fabricated a new one a couple of years ago out of weatherstripping material I picked up at Lowes. Get the type that has a stick strip on one face. It comes in various widths/thicknesses.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments and advice. Here are a couple of pictures of the seal so that you know what part I'm talking about. (Mine looks a bit the dog has been chewing it though.) It is made of foam rubber and is soft.

I'll try the dealer and see if they can track one down for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
43sqd,

I reckon you nailed it. I had no answer from the dealer today so they were having a problem finding the correct part number. I asked them to check the part number you found.

I have a problem understanding the logic of how MB group their parts. The air cleaner parts are under "chassis sheet metal" and the seal is under "covering and lining". Go figure.

Regarding the rats, mice or dogs, the part was in that chewed up state when I bought the truck. It came from NSW so the rodents were most likely cockroaches.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
On older models, (W201) MB could provide a device called 'Marten Protection System' to discourage vermin from gnawing cables etc.

This was a system of wires distributed around the engine bay to give the varmints an electric shock if they entered the car. It was energised when the ignition key was removed. The WIS includes a warning about the danger to owners who had pace-makers fitted!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alas, wrong part.

I went to pick up the part today (1636821871) that I ordered from the dealer. It took three weeks to arrive from Singapore. The part turned out to be a stamped metal plate. The dealer can't find the correct part and I know he spent a fair bit of time trying.

Is it possible that MB didn't list this seal in the parts catalogue? Its a pity that Mercedes doesn't have a catalogue of part pictures as well as the drawings.:dunno:

·
Purple Moderator
21,709 Posts
I found it.
Part A163 505 00 50 Bushing- Air engine Intake.It is $12.50 US not sure what it will be in OZ.

It is not shown as valid for my chassis #, but when I turned off all the filters in EPC it
showed up with that number. It is item 14 in the drawing you posted. That I can tell
you for sure.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Close but no cigar

Noodles,

Thanks for trying but this part is the plastic piece that slides into the part I am after. I originally thought the same as you and ordered A163 505 00 50. It cost $22.72 in Australia.

The part number mystery continues...

Attachments

·
Purple Moderator
21,709 Posts
Wow, I am stumped. I will make a couple of calls next week and see what I can find out.
Maybe getting one from a scrapyard would be a solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts