Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ML 320 1999
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here so I'll keep it brief.
First I'm wondering about both my engine air-filter and cabin, is it a big issue to have two eleven year old filters?

Second, I've recently discovered that oil has been leaking somewhere from the middle area of the engine. It's about a quarter size every night or so, anyone else have this issue.

And Third does anyone of an issue of the back windshield rattling, sometimes I think its going to pop off.

Thanks,

- M.Duric
Ontario, Canada ML320 1999

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,123 Posts
Chances are the oil is coming from the oil cover at the front of the engine. Some people
call it the timing cover. New design metal cover part 112-015-06-30. $8.50 US list price.
New gasket for same cover part # 112-184-02-80. $5.75 US list price.
The cover is located at the front of the engine and is rectangular. It is just to the left
of the AC pulley and up a bit if you are looking at the front of the engine.

If the oil spot is appearing on the passenger side there is a timing bolt behind the
alternator that has loosened up on some members. It may be leaking from there.
Visual inspection of both locations will be the way to go before repairs are made.

As far as the filters go please change them. Max life on the cabin filter is 1 year, maybe
2 years for low usage. Get the the one with charcoal. You are going to find it is packed
full of all sorts of things.
The engine filter has to be done at least yearly or at no more than 15,000 miles depending
on driving conditions so that has to be replaced.

I am stumped on the rear hatch window noise. Wish I could help on that.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 Elegance, BMW R1150RT, SAAB 9-3
282 Posts
after so long you should change your filters.
the pollen filter fills up fast ; in my experience a 2 year / 30000 km service interval would be about right.
i am at 45000 km on mine but i vacuumed with the shop vac twice.

there seems to be no engine air filter maintenance interval prescribed.
i was going on the same interval as my saab (60,000km) for lack of any other info.

i just now found in the service booklet that came with the truck, page 31
" 0980 replace air filter element
Under normal dust conditions, replace air filter element at approximately every 96 000 KM or 4 years."

hope this helps

·
Registered
ML 320 1999
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,

So tomorrow I'm going into the shop to get an oil change and possibly fix the leak. As for the filters, I have to wait for them to come in, but I'm sure i'll take a picture to see how dirty it really is.

Thanks.

- M.Duric

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,123 Posts
Almost all dealers stock the timing cover parts so you can grab those on the way
to the shop. The two parts I listed should suffice as the screw and seal can be
transferred from the old timing cover.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M3 Coupe, 2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
174 Posts
First I'm wondering about both my engine air-filter and cabin, is it a big issue to have two eleven year old filters?
Filters are relatively inexpensive and simple to change. You should change them ASAP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts