Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please let me know the correct orientation of the Air Filter?

I replaced my air filter and I noticed that 1/3rd of the filter element is about an inch thick and 2/3rd is about 2 inches. My question is, do you install the filter with the 1 inch element towards the front or towards the rear of the vehicle ? or does it matter?

I think it does matter and I would like to know the reason for designing the filter element like this.

TIA.

·
Registered
2000 ml430, 99 infiniti i30 limited edition
980 Posts
I believe the thicker part is the front. Do a search, this question was asked before already.

·
Registered
ML-55 - 2000,
902 Posts
busoptr said:
I believe the thicker part is the front. Do a search, this question was asked before already.
mine is the other way round....

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
675 Posts
edcarls said:
Can anyone please let me know the correct orientation of the Air Filter?

I replaced my air filter and I noticed that 1/3rd of the filter element is about an inch thick and 2/3rd is about 2 inches. My question is, do you install the filter with the 1 inch element towards the front or towards the rear of the vehicle ? or does it matter?

I think it does matter and I would like to know the reason for designing the filter element like this.

TIA.
The smaller part belongs up front, look inside the filter box and you will see that the outside air intake is right there....
In general I was always wondering if it makes any difference at all...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
busoptr said:
Thanks, busoptr - I browsed through prior postings and found some said thin part goes towards the grill and some towards the firewall. No clear definitive answer. Except for one person who had his filter installed by the dealer (I think) and when he asked the technician said they always install it with the thin part towards the fire wall. No explanation was provided.

I guess this is one of those over-engineered parts with no significant purpose. Or the filter was designed considering a component in the air box that was deleted (maybe?)

I'll dig some more and post any new information.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
WolfWinter said:
The smaller part belongs up front, look inside the filter box and you will see that the outside air intake is right there....
In general I was always wondering if it makes any difference at all...
WolfWinter, My first instinct was to install it as you suggested. However, I said to my self, raw air coming directly to the inlet carries dust so more filter (thick) is better than less (thin) filter in front.

I'm not positively certain about this theory so I asked.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
675 Posts
edcarls said:
WolfWinter, My first instinct was to install it as you suggested. However, I said to my self, raw air coming directly to the inlet carries dust so more filter (thick) is better than less (thin) filter in front.

I'm not positively certain about this theory so I asked.
I was thinking along the same line but then looked at the filter and the box and was wondering if the thin part should go to the front (grill) to give the RAW air full of sand and partials enough space to drop the more heavier stuff into the box and not clog the filter. I always see a lot of sand on the bottom of the box here in AZ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts