Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across one on a wrecked car at pickapart how do i take it off ? I've heard about it only having2 or 3 screws/bolts anybody got any photos or how to's ? I saw one screw in the middle but could not see any on the side. I know they are there. Don't want to tear any thing up.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link Jim. Didn't help any . Alright guys i know somebody out there knows how to take one of these things off without tearing it up. Pictures would help if there out there .:bowdown:

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,554 Posts
Thanks for the link Jim. Didn't help any . Alright guys i know somebody out there knows how to take one of these things off without tearing it up. Pictures would help if there out there .:bowdown:
Did you scroll all the way to the bottom of the link? Mercedes R107 SL Restoration It is deceptive as it starts with a rear spoiler, but ends with the air dam. From the pictures, it appears as if the screws are apparent under the bumper, two in the center, and apparently one on each side. I don't know... just trying to help.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There are 3 screws on the front and 3 bolts on each side. The side bolts are accessed above the front valance (10mm bolts) under the car. On each side there is a support bracket (part of the spoiler). The pics below will help visualising the arrangement. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all i would like to thank the academy of scholars for this award. This forum and its members sep up to the plate once again. Went back to the p/p today and got my spoiler. It was a pain to get it off, car on wheel stands and lime rocks the size of golf balls but a little time and $ 22.00 dollars later magic happend. Took some photos hope this will help some one in the future. Thanks again for the info.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::bowdown::bowdown:

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 Astral Silver 560SL
253 Posts
I just repaired and refinished my air dam. I can tell you once you are under the car it is very intuitive and straightforward. It only takes a few minutes to get it on and off by yourself. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1987 560SL AMG, 1977 BMW 533i Turbo
486 Posts
I have an AMG front spoiler for sale, it came off my new parts car. It is painted black

Pm me if you are interested anyone, sorry to use the thread for advertisement.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fochmann ; The way im hitting cats going to work i'll need it soon. If i put it on my car since its a AMG spoiler will it give me more hp ?:D

·
Premium Member
'91 560SEL, '88 560SL, '87 300SDL, '98 E320, '82 300TD..... '91 350SDL (RIP) totalled
92 Posts
O.k.....I got all of that thus far... I am doing precisely the same thing and I am on the same page until: Is it neccesary to remove the front bumper in order to properly bolt it in?

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't let it bother you . If i can do it so can you. My problem was the hard ground seeing spider webs and egg sacks everywhere while reaching my hand into dark places. Oh yes and running into yellow jackets. But i came back in one piece with my trophy kill (spoiler ).:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
'91 560SEL, '88 560SL, '87 300SDL, '98 E320, '82 300TD..... '91 350SDL (RIP) totalled
92 Posts
hanging of the air-dam

Oh THANKS QUILTMAN... Snakes, alligators, scorpions, mice, rats, armadillos, moles, slugs, yellowjackets....EH...no worries...but SPIDERS??? All masculinity is off the table as I go runnung and screaming like a 12 yr old girl (with all due respect to ..um..12 yr old girls)...Anyway..When I am finally done in ohhhhh, 2-3 weeks w/ my refurbishment of MY '88 560SL, I'll be posting pics here and if anyone who is in the dumps about their repair/restoration expenses, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours"! At last mental count, I am somewhere in the 28k range and still about 3k to go...BUT...I WILL ESSENTIALLY HAVE A BRAND NEW 560!!! O.k., so my airdam is almost done w/ the body color match and I will be 'hanging' it in about a week after the body is re-sprayed...I have: 3 washers, 3 screws, 4 bolts and 2 nuts.(haaa) I have not yet crawled underneath, but the 2 side bolts I see, the other 2 I'll figure, but where do the 3 screws go??

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
air dam

Thanks quiltman01......You ROCK...I'll follow-up next week when I get it back to install......... :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts