Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989 w126 300se
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this 89 300se. Air doesnt work. Heater doesnt work. I hear a small electrical humm in console when I push buttons, so i am assuming it's getting power. I need a gameplan here about what to check. Where is the blower? How to check it? Any other pieces that need to be checked? Etc.driving around in the rain with fogged up windows. No good. Also, the radio isn't powering on now and the illuminating lights for the window controls just stopped working.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,032 Posts
Me, I'd start super simple. One of the first things I do with any 20+ yo MB I get is replace all the fuses.

After that, given you seem to be having multiple issues in the center console area, I'd pull that and make sure everything is plugged in properly. It could be someone switched the radio or window controls, removed a whole bunch of items, and did not plug them back in proper.

I always start inexpensive, quick, and easy.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,438 Posts
My '87 560SEL has a "coffin" fuse just forward of the brake vacuum booster. It's a 30amp lead strip in a 1" x 3" little black plastic "coffin" looking holder attached to the secondary firewall. These fuses crack and look great, but provide an intermittent connection. I the 300E has one of these, tap the lead strip gently to see if it's broken.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,032 Posts
My '87 560SEL has a "coffin" fuse just forward of the brake vacuum booster. It's a 30amp lead strip in a 1" x 3" little black plastic "coffin" looking holder attached to the secondary firewall. These fuses crack and look great, but provide an intermittent connection. I the 300E has one of these, tap the lead strip gently to see if it's broken.
My '89 300SE has this fuse. I'd expect the OP would too. I replaced mine w/my others. Figured since I had to order and ship them all, I'd get them all.

The OP could look at his Overload Protection Relay. That does all sorts of wonky things. And, he could look at his ignition switch. When those become slightly loose, they can shut off the blower motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts