Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Bangkok, THAILAND. Last April I bought a new (2004) 280S. Since I travel alot I sometimes have to leave my car parked for 8 weeks at a time. However a friend starts the car every week and lets the engine run for about 10 minutes....but does not drive it.

When I return the car starts perfectly but the a/c gas has leaked out. My dealer said the car has to be run (moving)or the gas will leak out.

I have another MB in the USA and I have never had this problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
03' SL500
180 Posts
That is nonsense. There is some oil in the system that keeps internal parts lubricated and a small abount of lubrication on certain seals. 8 weeks is about 3 years too short of anything drying out causing a freon leak. Next time it's in the shop have them install a dye for leak examination providing they can't find the small leak. You'll have to go back again if and when the system depletes itself, but at least with the dye they should be able to pinpoint the source of the leak. Good luck. Glenn

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is so strange. When I'm here in Bangkok for months on end...driving the car almost every day...the freon gas never escapes from the AC. It is only when it is parked for a long period (say 8 weeks...but even during that period I have a friend start the car at least once a week).

My Bangkok MB dealer said this will also happen to shock absorbers....if the car is not driven the gas escapes.

It seems strange to me.

But the dealer pick up the car, repairs it, and delivers it back at no cost.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
You have a bad shaft seal behind the compressor pulley. Have the dealer replace the entire compressor assembly and make sure the belt tension is correctly set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts