Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi friends , i am driving 500 sl 1991 model , the car is cool ,but i have been suffering from the A.C condenser in my car , the A.C compressor is not working any more , changed it twice but both got spoiled and finally needs to be replaced again cos of the dirt inside , THE PROBLEM IS , I AM NOT FINDING THE CONDENSER , FROM DEALER SHIP WILL COST ME AROUND 800$ us dollar . i am asking is it possible to fix a condenser like the 500SEL four doors 1992 to 1998 for my car cos i heard the engine is same 100% . thanks .

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,790 Posts
Many MB parts are interchangeable between models. If you have a car breakers yard nearby you could try to find the A/C components you need.
A/C components are usually made by third party manufacturers such as Bosch, Denso etc., so you may even find a compatible part from another marque.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
$288.69 with free shipping, for the OEM part (manufactured by Behr) from autohausaz.com...

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

I always buy my own parts lately. The dealers and even the indys are on this kick of always quoting list price (or more) for everything...it started a few years ago, and I guess the more they got away with it the more they kept doing it. It's like they want to pretend that the internet just doesn't exist.

I just sidestep all the arguments and bring my own parts. I am sure they pad the labor bill somewhat to come out ahead, but I am still saving money even then, compared to paying $800 for a $300 part.

Good luck with your condenser. Remember, any time you open the system to raw air, you should replace the receiver/drier, so go ahead and order one of those too. Not a bad idea to swap out the expansion valve either, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$288.69 with free shipping, for the OEM part (manufactured by Behr) from autohausaz.com...

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

I always buy my own parts lately. The dealers and even the indys are on this kick of always quoting list price (or more) for everything...it started a few years ago, and I guess the more they got away with it the more they kept doing it. It's like they want to pretend that the internet just doesn't exist.

I just sidestep all the arguments and bring my own parts. I am sure they pad the labor bill somewhat to come out ahead, but I am still saving money even then, compared to paying $800 for a $300 part.

Good luck with your condenser. Remember, any time you open the system to raw air, you should replace the receiver/drier, so go ahead and order one of those too. Not a bad idea to swap out the expansion valve either, if you haven't already.

thanks alot dear , i checked with bosh , dinso , gk manufacturers but they all said it is available for all models of MB exept for 129 its coming only original from mb factory i was rally disapointed . ill try through your advice and i hope ill find it.
i have already changed the bottle and the expansion valave just waiting for the condenser. thanks all

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
thanks alot dear , i checked with bosh , dinso , gk manufacturers but they all said it is available for all models of MB exept for 129 its coming only original from mb factory i was rally disapointed . ill try through your advice and i hope ill find it.
i have already changed the bottle and the expansion valave just waiting for the condenser. thanks all
Right, but click that link in my message. That will take you to the exact condenser you need, for $288.

That's your part, right there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts