Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride Sunday on our first 90 degree day, using my air for the first time this year to find it is only blowing hot. I had the system cleaned and changed over to R-34 2 years ago. It worked fine for the last 2 years, but now, bupkus!
Do you think I have a leak, or (since I do not use it much) it just needs to be recharged?
Thanks, Lancer.

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to try that first. I am hoping from lack of usage, the R-34 in a 22 year old system found it's way out. Is there a sticky or something as far as recharging this system?
I'll be doing this in about 2 weeks, when I change my oil and anti-freeze.
Also, Thanks for the heads up on the anti-freeze JDC. I'll be heading to the MB shop to buy the correct red stuff for the old girl, when I make the swap.
Still not sure about the type of oil though, synth vs. dino. Weird thing, I was just given 15 gals of Rotella 15w40 from our work boat. Maybe that's a sign for dino [^].
Lancer

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I’ve had very good results with the ‘off the shelf’ self fill cans of refrigerant in the McParts stores. The cans come with a gauge, a hose, and a low-pressure port clamp. The cans also come with oil and sealant with the refrigerant. It lasted a whole season in my 500 SEL (ten months in Florida) w/o needing a recharge.

If you’ve got free Rotella T I’d use that, the price is sure right. I think it’s more important to change often than what you use, as long as it’s a good CH – 4 oil like Rotella, Delo, Delvac, etc. You can always go to synthetic after the Rotella T is gone.

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking the same thing about the free oil. I also found a guy who will sell me 4-Mann oil filters for $30.00. I'll be set for awhile.
We do not have Mcparts out here, but good old Auto Zone, I am sure, will have those supplies.
Thanks again...

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I agree, with free oil and OEM filters you’re good to go for a while.

Auto Zone is McParts, btw…
[:p][:D]

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
You can't buy R-12 freon yourself at a parts store. A liscensed refrigerant person are the only ones who can legally buy r-12 in the states now because of the environmental damage, so you will probably have to pay that $160 for the recharge. I think it has something to do with the Clean Air Act.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Boardmonger - 5/24/2005 10:39 PM

You can't buy R-12 freon yourself at a parts store. A liscensed refrigerant person are the only ones who can legally buy r-12 in the states now because of the environmental damage, so you will probably have to pay that $160 for the recharge. I think it has something to do with the Clean Air Act.

You pay $160 for a R-12 recharge? I just had mine recharged today at the indy for $5. Cheap coolness without any of that R-134 mess.[:D]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
H-TownBenzoboy - 5/25/2005 4:41 PM

Boardmonger - 5/24/2005 10:39 PM

You pay $160 for a R-12 recharge? I just had mine recharged today at the indy for $5. Cheap coolness without any of that R-134 mess.[:D]
Get out of here! I had mine done for $120 [xx(] My trusted mechanic wanted $160 so I went window shopping...

Boardmonger, thanks. I already figured it out when I asked several auto parts store personnel. [:p]

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
No problem, I was just browsing yesterday and added my $.02. I got my r-134a today and am going to recharge a little later. I also adjusted my ALDA screw and my car seems to be a lot faster then it was. The true test is to turn it clockwise past spec then back CCW and you can really feel the difference.

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just finished recharging my air-con with the stuff from "McParts" (Never heard it called that, but I love it, Thanks JDC). Put a temp guage at the vent, and it is blowing at 49 degrees. Lets see how long it holds. Hopefully, I do not have a nasty leak.

Next week, I'll do my oil and anti-freeze, with the change over to the red stuff. I picked up the Prestone designated for our engines at McParts.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Ok, this probably sounds stupid but do you attach the freon hose to the valve underneath the blue plastic cover just behind and to the left of the radiator? I read the car and it said to put in the lower servicing port and I have no idea where that is, and it says if you put it in the upper port it can blow up. That made my dad nervous so I was wondering exactly where to plug in to recharge. Thanks

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The low-pressure port will have a blue cap. The hose has a female connector on the end with a locking mechanism. I hope you got the stuff with oil and sealant along with the refrigerant – it sealed the small leaks in my system and lasted all summer.

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got lucky, when I grabbed 2 cans of refrigerant, 1 was actually the oil and sealer, the other was the refrigerant. Ran the air all day today, and it worked great. Although, I am not really sure how many cans are needed to fully fill the system.

I also was not sure about the line hook up either (high or low pressure), but the guy at McParts stated the connector will only fit the low end side, and he was right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts