Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'02 W203...everytime I start the A/C on...there's a strong and foul odor coming out of the blower.

I remember the dealer fixed this once by changing a filter, I don't remember which one. is it easy to replace this by myself? I can wrench. where to get parts for mercedes besides dealer anyway? or maybe online?

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
the only filter on the 203 is the dust filter located above the battery. But also keeping the ac system on recirculate can cause the foul smell. start using the ac on fresh air and keep it like that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Choqiees said:
'02 W203...everytime I start the A/C on...there's a strong and foul odor coming out of the blower.

I remember the dealer fixed this once by changing a filter, I don't remember which one. is it easy to replace this by myself? I can wrench. where to get parts for mercedes besides dealer anyway? or maybe online?

Thanks
I don't know about the coupe, but the sedan has charcoal filters under the passanger footwell behind the glove box. You have to remove a black plactic cover. There will be two charcoal filters, they run about 120.00 however you can get them from buy mb parts for about 90.00 w/free shipping.

You also can try spraying OZIUM inside the cabin and let the A/C run for for a few minutes.

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan, 1996 C220 Sedan, 1988 190E Sedan
10 Posts
I had a car once that had a mold build up in the air conditioning ductwork. It was caused by a leaky seal that allowed a minute amout of water to drip in and stand. You might want to have the dealer check this out. I know it's a hassle, and will probably cost a minimum hour labor charge, but the problem will heep reoccuring until the source is stopped. Ozuim will help mask it temporarily, but it won't stop it forever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine's a sedan. I can't remember whether it's the charcoal filter or the dust filter that the dealer replaced under the warranty. the car is out of warranty now. I'll try using fresh air from now on to see if there's any difference.

what is OZIUM anyway?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan, 1996 C220 Sedan, 1988 190E Sedan
10 Posts
Ozium is an aerosol air purifier that cancels out strong smells. It's available almost anywhere...I know Walgreens has it, also AutoZone. It leaves kind of a light soap smell.

·
Registered
2017 GLC 300 4Matic fully loaded... but for the heated steering wheel. Stupid previous owner! 😠
1,147 Posts
As far as I know, the C320 is the only one that has the charcoal filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts