Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 S430 4Matic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I have searched and read a million posts trying to find an answer and no luck. If there is a post out there, I apologize in advance.

Everytime I turn on my 2006 S430 4matic (in the morning after it has been off for about 16 hours), I hear what sounds like an air compressor turn on in the front passenger side. I figured this is normal and is just the Airmatic pumping the car up before I start to drive. I usually wait until I hear the pump turn off before putting the car in gear to get going.

Now, I have noticed occasionally that after pulling into my garage and putting the car in park (or once at a red light), that I hear the pump run for a few seconds. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes (and of course, I feel like more often now).

So 2 questions...

1. Is the pump turning on for about 20-30 seconds when starting in the morning normal??

2. Is the pump turning on randomly at the end of a drive or even at red lights normal??

Thanks in advance for your help. :confused:

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,911 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S430
419 Posts
also during red lights and at the end of the your drive could be your cooling fan coming on and off. the fan is belt driven from a motor on the side of the housing unit. (passenger side).

·
Registered
02 S500
121 Posts
I also found out from your other post that you still on warranty but its expiring in few weeks.Get it checked before you end up in a mess. Below is roughly how much they charge if you out of warranty.

$150 diagnostic fees
$600 airmatic pump
$500-$600 for leak kit
$100 for new relay.

Total=$1350 - $1500 in repairs.
Get it fixed before its too late..good luck

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,911 Posts
That's in addition to about $550 parts & labor for a pair of upper strut seals (if needed); or $1600 apiece for front strut replacements, usually replaced in pairs.

·
Registered
S320 LWB W220, ML320 LUX W163
39 Posts
Its too much, Airmatic in good condition wont operate the pump this frequently. I have a 2000 S320 and the Airmatic pump rarely comes on. I would agree and get the car to a dealer to have the codes read.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts