Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK230
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Basically took out the air filter box, so had to unplug wire, 2 big hoses, 1 little hose, then lift out. Then is second picture had to take to small nuts off that were holding something, not sure what, but had to move it so I could put a wrench on bypass valve and it was in the way. Then I got vice grips to remove bypass valve, cuz my adjustabe wrench was too big and I didn't care if the vice scratched it a little. It came off easily and new one went back on without a problem. Make sure you buy a replacement hose holder thingy cuz when you remove the stock one it is no good after. It took half hour at most.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
I can't see what youa re trying to show in the picture and how does this benefit us?

·
Registered
SLK230
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The air bypass valve is in the third picture right in the center. I'm not exactly sure what it duz, but read that it should be changed after 50k miles. Apparently when it gets old fumes from inside the engine will get into the intake and possible fowl out the MAF sensor. So it is good preventative maintenance cuz da MAF sensor cost $400 from dealer, $300 from online parts place, but I got mine for $200 on ebay=)

·
Registered
30 Posts
The check valve allows air to flow into your exhaust, mainly to burn up your O2 Sensor upto 180degree. If you replace the air mass and O2 sensor, replacing or cleaning this check valve is almost a must. I have seen those valves rusted through from the exhaust heat due to malfunction valves.

Thanks for the write up. I replaced mine when I got P0410 code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great info. I have had these exact four codes for some time and the mercedes mechanic replaced the MAF sensor and not much changed (supercharger doesn't come online at low speeds.) By the looks of your post, he failed to replace the bypass valve. I will do so Monday (with your outstanding explanation of how to do so) and let you know the outcome...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts