Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the tanks and lines have to be drained regularly to keep them from freezing? Air line antifreeze or anything like that?

·
Unimog Moderator
13,047 Posts
Does your mog have:

1. Alchohol injector for the airlines?
2. Decandesant cartridge drier?
3. Decandesant heated drier?

My mog has the Decandesant cartridge drier, works great, I drain my tanks and there's never any moisture in them.

My old 416 DoKa had the alcohol injector (or rather, a wick that soaked up alcohol and the air passed though it) and it worked just as good.

And you should drain your tanks regularly anyway, keep moisture out to keep rust out.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Fit a couple of pull chains to the dump rings on the air tanks to make it convenient then you will never forget to drain the tanks after every run, tie them up under the body and you make it so much easier.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
The alcohol injector on my 416 works very well. We get a lot of high humidity around here (IL) in the winter. Without alcohol, the air brakes freeze up in short order.

The 4x6's had alcohol injectors from the factory (well, most of them did). Winter is the only time I ever have to worry about fluid accumulation in the air tanks.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm sorry, I have no pictures now, but if you have an operators manual, it will lead you to the alcohol injector. Mine is in front of the rear wheel, has a wing nut that unscrews the the dip stick (drain air pressure first, otherwise you get an alcohol coated rocket), then fill accordingly. I couldn't find anything around here that resembled the weird german to english translation of juice to put in, so I got some methanol brake anti-freeze from the local Freightliner place. Seems to have done the trick. I blow off my tanks all the time and have yet to get a wet palm. I really like the idea of installing a chain. It would be easier.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Speaking of alcohol systems, I noticed the other day that the T on top of the reservoir to switch from winter to summer is missing. I have a rebuild kit for it but that does not include the T. Anybody know if you can buy that part, or if it would be possible to make one, or if it's even a concern? That's the only one I have so I can't look at another one to see how it's constricted.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Speaking of alcohol systems, I noticed the other day that the T on top of the reservoir to switch from winter to summer is missing. I have a rebuild kit for it but that does not include the T. Anybody know if you can buy that part, or if it would be possible to make one, or if it's even a concern? That's the only one I have so I can't look at another one to see how it's constricted.
I just replaced the whole alcohol injector - the one on the photo.
Still have the old one.All the parts in there, except housing is a bit cracked/chipped.
If you're interested, just cover shipping charges and is yours.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I don't see anything for alcohol. Where would it be?
My unit is mounted on a bracket attached to the rear cab support, but I have a DoKa. Follow the air line from the compressor on the motor (or the hi-cap compressor if you have one). The first unit you come to should be the alcohol injector, if you have one.

On a 406, it should look just like the diagram Trev posted from the EPC. A unit with a t-handle on top and a rigid air line attached to both sides.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I just replaced the whole alcohol injector - the one on the photo.
Still have the old one.All the parts in there, except housing is a bit cracked/chipped.
If you're interested, just cover shipping charges and is yours.
Thanks, that would be great. I'll pm you about it when I get back in town.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
And here is one on my 416, you can see it is set for winter already! Been in the 20's at night already.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Will oil in the air lines harm the alcohol wick?

My name is Steve Schroeck, and I just bought a 406 (my first) that used to live in New Mexico.

The alcohol injector was not used in winter--due to the very low humidity out there.

There's some oil getting into the compressed air--I think from leakage past the rings in the compressor.

Will that cause any trouble with the alcohol wick? Also, where do I get the alcohol--I'm guessing vodka won't do the trick.

It's starting to freeze up at night here in Cincinnati, and the mog should arrive sometime this coming week. Reading this thread has made me think I'd better get ready so my brakes don't freeze up on day 1.

-Schroeck

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The oil from compressor will have affect on the all air system.
The valves will gum up more or less and you'll end up servicing them.
Same thing is with your alcohol injector.
I use air brake anti freeze, which is 99% methyl alcohol with 1% of rubber lubricants.
So don't drink it or you'll see sunset coming in the middle of the day.
Vodka has 40% of alcohol and 60% of water, so is no good for air system,
it costs more too.
Since I replaced alcohol injector ea made it work again, all the valve's seals hold better.
I think you need that little of lubricant to condition all the rubber parts.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I've heard good and bad about methanol in the de-icer. I just use denatured ethanol - it smells good, too :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts