Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(sorry if this post is repeated...)

I'm trying to get my "new" '86 190 2.3 though Maryland State Inspection. The Odometer doesn't work (but the Speedo does). To pass, I need the Odometer workng.

To remove the Speedo Cluster, you have to remove the Steering Wheel. Mine has an Air Bag and I don't want this thing going off in my face.

According to the CD Shop Manual (Thank you GermanStar/Ron), you have to pry off the Merc emblem from the Steering Wheel Center to get to the Allen Bolt holding the Wheel On. The Air Bag is in the Way.

How can I get it off...

Thanks,

Sam ('86 190E 2.3 with some AMG stuff)

· Registered
1995E320, 2000SL500, 2010ML550
87 Posts
Sam,

I have recently removed the instrument clusters on
both my 86 190Es (a reg 2.3 and a 2.3-16).
They can be removed *without* removing the steering
wheel!!!

The only snag you may encounter is that you have
to first disengage the speedometer cable from
the transmission. You will need one hook type
tool to slide passed the side of the cluster and
rest of the instrument panel. The cluster is
"press fit" so it's easy to pull and push it back.
Check out http://www.samstagsales.com/mercedes/mb140pullhooks.jpg
then make one off a coat hanger.

Need more? Send me a note, [email protected]
(weekend response would be slow...)

Best,
ata.

(sorry if this post is repeated...)

I'm trying to get my "new" '86 190 2.3 though Maryland State Inspection. The Odometer doesn't work (but the Speedo does). To pass, I need the Odometer workng.

To remove the Speedo Cluster, you have to remove the Steering Wheel. Mine has an Air Bag and I don't want this thing going off in my face.

According to the CD Shop Manual (Thank you GermanStar/Ron), you have to pry off the Merc emblem from the Steering Wheel Center to get to the Allen Bolt holding the Wheel On. The Air Bag is in the Way.

How can I get it off...

Thanks,

Sam ('86 190E 2.3 with some AMG stuff)

· Registered
60 Posts
Well when I replaced the illumination bulbs in my cluster, the only way to get the clust...

Well when I replaced the illumination bulbs in my cluster, the only way to get the cluster out far enough was to disconnec the speedo cable, as he said. But to do that I had to remove the lower kick panel and the tube that goes to the driver's air vent. Then work your hand up behind the cluster, and unscrew the speedo cable (it's like a coax cable on your TV). Then push the cluster from behind and out it comes. I don't know how your car is, but mine has an oil line that runs to the oil pressure gauge that I personally don't want to fool with. Yours may have the electronic one that elimates the possibility of an oil leak on your carpet. But once you get the speedo cable off you should be able to one by one remove all the connections and completely remove the cluster.

NOT A FUN TASK!... good luck on it!

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the good info. I'll try a preliminary "poke" up there today.

My car has som...

Thanks for the good info. I'll try a preliminary "poke" up there today.

My car has some type of large foam pad at the bottom of the Dash, once you remove the kick-panel. This will have to come off too. I just don't want to trigger the Air-Bag with any of my moneying around up there.

Any ideas why the Speedo would work but the Odometer won't? It appears that the Odometer set-back knob is jammed so I assume that there is some type of gear-jam in the housing.

Just an idea, but if I took the Cable off at the Transmission, hooked it to a Cordless Drill, and ran it backwards, might this un-jam the Gears?

Thanks again and I will report in.

Sam ('86 190 2.3 with some AMG stuff)

· Registered
60 Posts
I've never heard of the air bag deploying with the car off. I wouldn't worry about it. ...

I've never heard of the air bag deploying with the car off. I wouldn't worry about it. When I was getting the air vent tube out (you have to pretty much take it all out, you'll see once you're in there) I was laying on the floor and my head was by the pedals. Won't get hit by the air bag there! heh heh. Good luck.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the Speedo Cluster out just fine. Thanks for all of the help!!!

Removed the large f...

Got the Speedo Cluster out just fine. Thanks for all of the help!!!

Removed the large foam Knee Protector under the Dash. For those interested, there are holes on the underside of the Foam that allow access to the Nuts holding it to the Dash. Easy to do. Took out a Support Strut and a whole bunch of Aftermarket Alarm Wiring, (that will never be used again), and, using a wide flat screwdriver, pried the Speedo Cluster out from the Front.

Removed a ton of Wire Connections that were on the Back of the Cluster.

So far, not a bad job at all. The point of this effort was not the challange but to see why the Odometer is not working.

More Later and Thanks Again...

Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.